51°

College Town Delicacies

Boston is a bustling city filled with good eats, but don’t let the “city” label scare you. Not many people know about all the cheap and tasty restaurants and cafés settled around. No matter what mood you’re in, there is a place just for you … and your wallet!
            Don’t be afraid to branch out! Here’s a list of my favorite places, along with the college deals:

1. Saus Boston : 33 Union St., Boston, MA 02108. Located right next to Faneuil Hall, it’s an easy location to pick out. Saus, pronounced Sos, is small but hip, offering multiple options for poutine, an assortment of sandwiches, and sweet waffles to treat you and your friends. Price range: $
  2. Fire and Ice: 205 Berkeley St., Boston, MA 02116. Pretty easy to find, but it can be a hike from the University of Massachusetts Boston. It could be categorized as a little expensive, except for Monday nights. When you show your student ID on a Monday night, the cost is reduced from $20.99 to $10.99. If you’ve never been to Fire and Ice, it’s a really cool all-you-can-eat restaurant. They have two sections: ‘market’ and ‘sauce bar.’ The market has an assortment of meats, vegetables, fish, grains, and fruit while the sauce bar has any sauce you could want—from sweet to spicy and everything in between. Your server will give you a bowl to fill with all your ingredients, you pick out your sauce(s), and then the chefs will cook it for you on an open grill! (Monday night) Price range: $
  3. Boloco: Boston Common: 176 Boylston St., Boston, MA 02116. One street over from South Station: 284 Congress St., Boston, MA 02110. Boloco is probably the best burrito place I’ve ever been to. Along with their many options for burritos, burrito bowls, wraps, and fountain drinks, they also serve Nutella milkshakes and smoothies. I personally suggest the mini Cajun burrito ($6 straight). Price range: $
  4. University House of Pizza: 452 Huntington Ave., Boston, MA 02115. Picture this: you just came out of the Museum of Fine Arts, you’re starving but refuse to pay big bucks for a small plate of food from inside the museum. So, right across the street is this Greek-style pizzeria. They have reasonably priced food but with great taste. UHOP has baklava and other Greek treats, mac-and-cheese bites, calzones, pasta plates, pizza, salads, and more! Price range: $
  5. Veggie Galaxy: 450 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139. Since this is the last restaurant, I’m going to make an exception because even though it is a little pricy, they serve really good vegetarian and vegan dishes. I’m lactose intolerant and I love being able to go in somewhere knowing they won’t serve me dairy. It’s set up like an old diner with raised booths in the middle and a counter when you walk in. The staff are really nice and they work fast. My suggestion is their “milk” shakes and they also serve vegan French fries. Price range: $