63°

BORNS Releases Sophomore Album “Blue Madonna”

Most people have heard the synthetic, electro-pop tune “Electric Love” once or twice on the radio. But as most avid music listeners can attest, the vast majority of great music goes widely unnoticed by pop culture. Anyone who listens to a given radio station for more than an hour can cite a number of repeated songs constantly requested by listeners. It’s irritating, but furthermore, it’s just plain boring. 
Like many other artists, Garret Borns, commonly referred to by his surname alone, has been largely ignored by mainstream radio. Born and raised in rural Michigan, he delved into the fine arts at a young age. He even performed as a magician at one point. His efforts earned him a scholarship to Kendall College of Art and Design, as well as a Gold Key Award in art. 
Before embarking on a solo career, Borns partook in a cover band titled “Brown Chicken Brown Trout,” the peak of which was performing at the Waterfront Film Festival in 2010. Two years later, the young artist found himself a part of “The Garret Borns Trio” alongside Kevin Kozel, a guitarist, with Scoot Pellegrom as the group’s drummer. Together, they unveiled “A Dream Between” EP in 2012. 
His debut album “Dopamine” released three years later in 2015, featured the much beloved “Electric Love” along with previously released singles such as “10,000 Emerald Pools,” which had been written in the months after “A Dream Between.”
The debut release was a success: Borns presented a unique sound vaguely reminiscent of disco, bringing to mind a kaleidoscope of color and glitter. He drew even more attention following his appearances on stage at the renowned Iridium Jazz Club of New York City in that very same year and Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in 2016. 
It wasn’t until the summer of 2017 that Borns came out with new music after his first tour, finally releasing a new single titled “Faded Heart.” Shortly thereafter, “Sweet Dreams” was also released. Avid fans were all together quite pleased with the prospects of a second album. Neither “Faded Heart” nor its later counterpart mimicked any of the tracks on “Dopamine,” and yet still portrayed his signature dreamy electronic sound with absolute clarity.
His third single off the upcoming album, “I Don’t Want U Back,” featured a catchy beat and breathy verses coupled with a heavy bass that makes for an excellent dance party. The fourth and final single track, named “God Save Our Young Blood” features Lana del Rey. It was a curated cocktail of vocals: Borns unique falsetto tones blending nicely with del Rey’s sensual tones. 
All four singles built up to the release of “Blue Madonna,” his sophomore album, which was officially released on Jan. 12. A total of 12 tracks, music critics have raised their noses at the evident influence of Tame Impala’s “Currents” and slotted it into a charming ensemble lacking the wow factor that would deem it a real work of art. Fans in the general populace however, seem to feel otherwise, finding the “Blue Madonna” to be rich with contemporary electro-pop and positively enamored with its synthetic sound. 
If you’re in the search for new music, “Blue Madonna” is undeniably self-empowering and upbeat. Give it a listen—you may even catch yourself singing along to “I Don’t Want U Back.”