57°

For Argument’s Sake: Mar. 21, 2011

Moss had his best season as a Patriot

Pats SHOULD bring back Moss

A few weeks ago, former Patriots All-Pro wide receiver Randy Moss declared on national radio that he wants to return to New England. Moss, 34, has his best season as a Patriot back in 2007 when he grabbed 98 passes for 1,493 yards and an NFL record 23 touchdowns. In each of his three full seasons here, he had over 1,000 yards receiving and double digit touchdowns. With the exception of wanting his contract extended during the 2010 season, Moss was nothing more than a perfect citizen here. He had a relationship with Tom Brady that made fans of Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. When Moss was traded on draft day in 2007, many experts and teams around the NFL thought Moss was washed up and had nothing in the tank. This just in however; RANDY MOSS IS A FREAK OF NATURE. Even though he is past his prime, he still commands a double team and can outrun anyone who covers him. One of the major problems the Pats had in their playoff loss to the Jets in January was an inability to spread the field. By bringing Moss back, half of the field now becomes wide open. This would make Deion Branch and Wes Welker that much more effective. If Randy is willing to accept a low base salary with incentives, the Patriots should absolutely bring him back. He can still make highlight-reel catches and is still good for 10 touchdowns a year.  Randy now realizes how privileged he was to be a New England Patriot and just how much he wants to come back. Moss is begging for round 2 of humble pie. Now it is the Pats’ turn to bring him to the bakery to have some. BRING BACK 81.

Pats SHOULD NOT bring back Moss

Randy Moss is one of the greatest wide receivers in the history of the NFL, and he is a surefire Hall-of-Famer. That being said, he is not worth signing at this point in his career. Moss has never been afraid to share his feelings with his teammates and the media. He can also be a negative force in a younger locker room. This includes his rampant criticism of the team’s day-to-day actions. Those are all good reasons not to re-sign Moss, but the biggest one is: HE SUCKS AT FOOTBALL. Moss is showing his 35 year old body these days. He is no longer the big play threat he used to be. He is slow, and half the receivers in the league now share the leaping ability that once made him unique. Simply put, Moss is no longer a hot commodity. He began last season slowly with the Pats, and once he was traded to the Minnesota Vikings, he stunk up the Metrodome so bad it collapsed (kidding). As awful as he was in his 4 game stint with Minnesota, that pales in comparison to the utterly despicable performance he put on in Tennessee. The Titans were the only team that was willing to claim him off of waivers as well. Moss didn’t catch a touchdown in his time at Tennessee, and 2010 as a whole was one of the worst years of his career. Although Moss has done a lot of good for the Pats, he isn’t as talented a player as he once was while remaining a negative and disinterested locker room presence. Moss’s best bet is to see if the UFL will take him, or maybe the Detroit Lions – but with his immense amount of baggage, even that might be a long shot.