66°

The Economy is hurting, we need to save money…

Imagine this: millions of students rely on a certain type of aid in order to be able to attend school. Again, this aid is absolutely essential for many students nationwide and without it, pursuing a degree would be nearly impossible. Both the GOP and the Democrats are planning cuts which would see the maximum award any student can get cut (though slightly less according to president Obama’s spending plan). According to studies done by the House, more than 8 million college students rely on Pell Grants. The GOP is proposing a cut that would see the maximum award any student can reduced by $845—that’s a 15 percent cut! As a figure itself, 15 percent isn’t a substantial amount but when you consider that not everyone who does receive a Pell Grant gets the maximum amount that 15 percent becomes more significant. What is a Pell Grant? The answer is simple. A Pell grant is an awarded given to students based solely on financial need. If one meets the criteria or, better put, falls under the right financial bracket (in this instance your EFC score or Expected Family Contribution score) then you are eligible to receive a Pell Grant award. Another great perk to receiving a Pell grant is that it doesn’t have to be repaid so in this way it’s unlike a loan. Now, there are more factures which contribute to a student’s eligibility for this award, for instance, one’s status as a student–part time, full time etc. But for now, your understanding of what a Pell Grant is should be sufficient enough to understand just how important these are for millions of students across the country. I myself receive a Pell Grant and I can personally say that it is a great help to myself and I can say that it is a great help to myself and my family that I get some free money to go to school! Now unless you don’t pay attention to anything, you would know that the biggest topic of discussion at least in the political realm is the economy—and why shouldn’t it be? There doesn’t seem to be any money around and jobs are difficult to come by. Just take a look at the current unemployment rates if you want proof. I will concede that we as a country DO need to find a way to improve our spending habits and save some money. I simply question the decision to cut funds that would effectively disable millions of students’ ability to attend college. Aren’t we the future job force—the ones that will help get the economy back on its feet?