66°

Tea and Coffee by the T

Finale Desserterie & Bakery (2 out of 5)

While it may be close to impossible to resist the epic menu of desserts that Finale boasts, they have a similarly delicious menu of drinks to choose from, with a romantic atmosphere. Though the dimly-lit restaurant may discourage one from studying, it is the perfect place to sit back and savor a delicious concoction. With “Hot Toddies” such as a “Nutty Irishman” and “Cloud Nine”, and a variety of hot chocolates, this is the ideal place to go to for a refreshing dose of high-calorie deliciousness. The price leaves a little to be desired, however, with some gourmet drinks, such as a regular hot chocolate, costing about 7$. Finale also lacks internet access.

Reaching Finale Desserterie & Bakery takes about twenty minutes from the JFK/UMass station, venturing on the Red line to the Green line and off at Coolidge Corner.

Starbucks in Boston Marriott Cambridge (3 out of 5)

A somewhat overlooked coffee shop, this Starbucks is set inside a glamorous hotel lobby, where caffeine-addicts can grab a cup of Joe and relax in style. Though a little cramped, this café is perfect for either a quick caffeine fix, or a relaxed study session, compliments of the beautiful hotel it resides in. A medium coffee will run about 2$, and the noise level is quiet enough to allow heavy reading. Unfortunately, you do have to pay for internet access.

Take the Red line to the Kendall/MIT station, about eighteen minutes from the JFK/UMass station, and the hotel almost sits next to the T stop.

Crema Café (4.5 out of 5)

Boasting delicious iced drinks as well as coffee varieties that are sure to jump-start any caffeine addicts’ day with a jolt of flavor, this café situated close to the Harvard T stop on the Red line (about twenty minutes away from the JFK/UMass station) is a hidden gem within the intellectual belly of Cambridge. Crema Café has an atmosphere that evokes the sense that one has found a hidden nook in a library. In the hustle and bustle of Harvard Square, it has a dynamic and friendly feel to it, with a constantly changing group of patrons, along with the regulars. While this may be a perfect spot for people-watching and sipping on a gourmet coffee, it may not be the most ideal study environment because of the shifting noise level. Grab a fairly priced coffee (around 2$), and check out the wide variety of food that is all made in-house, courtesy to the kitchen downstairs. As an added bonus, the Wifi is free.

MapRoom Café (5 out of 5)

This charmingly small and yet high-ceilinged café set to the right of the entrance to Boston Public Library (if entering from Boylston Street), boasts a variety of gourmet sandwiches, soups, salads and a small selection of coffee, all within a reasonable price range. What it lacks in drink varieties, however, it more than makes up with through ambience and atmosphere. During the warmer months, the courtyard is the preferred study spot of many library-goers, and with a water-bubbling fountain, ample seating, and opportunities to people-watch, this oasis of beauty is a rarity. It also gets a fair amount of sun, for those that wish to multitask tanning and studying. The noise level varies, and the courtyard can sometimes be a scene of pre-wedding madness, which can often be an added bonus to a tedious study session. As an added bonus, their Wifi is free.

Take the Red line to the Green, and depart at Copley Station, a trip of about twenty minutes from the JFK/UMass station.