66°

Where do I go from here?

Seriously, why do I even bother? I am a young adult enjoying life (or am I?) and all I really want is to be happy. But every day I find myself having to wake up early in the morning (sometimes even as early as eight o’clock!) so I can start my day, which usually involves heading to class. Do you know what the worse part of my life is? I’m just going through the motions and it doesn’t really feel as if I’m doing anything. Sure, I’m getting my degree in English and I’m reasonably happy with my focus and future career choice. However, a few weeks ago whilst sitting down in the Ryan Lounge…doing nothing, I realized that I had ample time to think about where my life was actually heading and then I got really depressed. I think of myself as a decently talented guy, at least when it comes to the things I like. I was always sure that when I did actually graduate that I would be able to find a job that I actually liked, get me a woman, have some kids (all boys) and live happily for the rest of my days. But now I don’t even know if I want any of that. Is that really going to make me happy?

Over the past three years I’ve gone back and forth over and over again considering and reconsidering what I want to do once I’m out of college. I’ve decided that I wanted to live in France, England, maybe even California. I thought about joining the Army and I’m still thinking about it. It pays well. Is that a good reason? At this moment I’m considering being a cop—I just hope they don’t make me take a lie detector test. Studies have shown that the average person will change careers four to five times over his or her life so I really shouldn’t be worried. But is this what it’s come to? I don’t even know who I am anymore. Is this what I have to look forward to—a lifetime of indecisiveness and discontent? Maybe I haven’t always taken my life seriously but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel, especially considering the current economic situation our country is in. Where these four to five are careers that I’ll be leapfrogging coming from? What’s out there for us soon-to-be college graduates? Help us out!