66°

NY Rally for Peace

NY Rally for Peace

A group of 15 UMB students came to New York City for a peace march organized by the United Anti-War Committee (UNAC), held on Saturday, April 9th. Representatives of Students for Justice in Palestine, the Black Student Center, the Queer Student Center, the Student Veterans’ Center and the UMB chapter of the International Socialist Organization (ISO) came to Union Square to demand an end to military occupation abroad and the erosion of civil rights at home.  “We are a contingent of student activists,” said Judea Beatrice, a marcher and member of the ISO at UMB. 

While at the rally, the students marched with some different groups. These included Veterans for Peace, the ISO contingent and the Muslim Peace Coalition contingent. “People really responded positively to us,” said Beatrice. 

After the march, there was a peace fair and rally at Fulton Square. “We stand united against militarization at home and abroad,” said Beatrice.

”The march was really race and age diverse.” Thousands came from all over to demand the end to foreign wars, to educate people in order to end racism and Islamaphobia and to ask for a change in priorities. UNAC explained the purpose of the rally, “the vast majority of humanity…want(s) peace, a healthy planet and a society that prioritizes human needs, democracy and civil liberties for all.” 

The NY rally was only one of three protests under the auspices of UNAC. There was a march on the Pentagon on Friday and another protest on Sunday, the 10th.

Speaking on UNAC and the march, Beatrice explained, “The United Anti-War Committee and its activities are truly groundbreaking – we demand a more just world and UNAC is committed to just that.”

Beatrice feels that this is a crucial point for anti-war movements in the United States.  “This represents the rebirth of the anti-war movement in the country,” she said. “It’s crucial oppression at home and abroad comes to an end.”

“Several Muslims and Arabs were at the march,” Beatrice explained. “It was a good sign.” 100 Imams from New York and the east coast called for their congregations to attend the rally and give a positive face to people of Arabian descent. 

With the US involved in so many conflicts, activists at the rally had a lot to talk about.  “People were talking about the wars in Palestine, Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq,” said Beatrice. “We pledged support and solidarity with people in the Middle East and Africa.”

Many different groups came to the rally with different ideologies and different beliefs; some came to call for an end to aggression in Iraq, Afghanistan and Yemen; others came to ask for more jobs and funding for schools; while others came to call for the dismantling of nuclear power plants. 

“It’s really sad that the military budget is the highest it’s ever been,” said Beatrice.  “This is at a time when public sector workers are losing their jobs and public schools are being closed – it’s really time for a change.”