63°

For Argument’s Sake: Apr. 19, 2011

This has been a popular sight of Tiger

For Argument’s Sake: Tiger Woods IS the world’s best golfer

By: Jon Mael

Tiger Woods is the best golfer in the world hands down. He is just going through a slump stemming from some significant time away from the game. Tiger had an epic showing at the Masters, where he stormed back on Sunday to take a lead in a major for the first time in almost 3 years. The game is changing around Tiger; it has an infusion of young fresh talent such as Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer, and Rory Mcilroy, who can all challenge Tiger in a 72-hole tournament. Tiger is still the best physical specimen in the history of golf and he has the mind that he’s always had. He’s just struggling because a long layoff from golf messes up your fundamentals and takes a long time to recover from that. The Masters showed a confident, self assured Tiger that hasn’t been seen in a major since his PGA Championship debacle in 2009. It’s only a matter of time until Tiger starts dominating again. Michael Jordan sat out a year and half after the death of his father and when he returned he led the Bulls to 3 more titles. I am not saying Tiger is Jordan, but it is definitely possible to have a long layoff from a sport you previously dominated and return to dominate again. Tiger just needs a win to get his confidence back. After he gets that first win he’ll start steamrolling again and finally break the all-time major record.

Tiger Woods IS NOT the world’s best golfer

By: Andrew Otovic

How is this even debatable? Tiger Woods should change his name to Kitty Woods or maybe Guinea Pig Woods. He has gone completely soft over the last few years. He has a perfectly good excuse for it as his life has gone array, but still, he is not the same golfer. He is not the golfer than has won all the tournaments and signed all the endorsements. Tiger made the game of golf relevant for the first time since the days of Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. The difference from when Jordan came back to when Tiger came back is golf is completely mental. 100%. Even the slightest distraction or lack of focus means the difference between being under par and being over par. Woods is still petrified to use his driver in key situations, which tells me he is not all the way back. Is it possible for Woods to someday be the best golfer again? Yes absolutely. However, until you start seeing him sink some important putts and using his driver on a consistent basis, it will be difficult to see the true Tiger back. All the scandals are behind him as well as his rehab for being a sex addict. Until more consistent rounds like the final round of the Masters appear rather than having seven straight tournaments where his highest finish was tied for 11th, Woods is nothing more than another Jim Furyk or Ernie Els.