63°

Harbor Point Recycling?

With over 3,000 residents, more than 1,200 apartments, and 30 buildings, you would think Harbor Point Apartments would have a recycling program. However, I’ve lived in Harbor Point for almost two years, and I have never once seen anything that suggests they have recycling. My roommates and I save our recyclables and, since we all live within an hour away of the city, take them home to recycle. However, most people may not have that kind of eco-friendly motivation. The fact that Harbor Point does not offer or actively advertise recycling is appalling. 

I recently called the Management Office to ask if they had anywhere for recycling. The response I got was that there was one behind 100 Ocean View.  I asked if it was designated for bottles, cans, or paper or all of them. They said they did not know. I proceeded to ask if there was anyone I could talk to who did know. All I was told was to call back the same number a different time and ask for Ginger. As soon as I got off the phone, I went and looked.

The “recycling area” behind 100 Ocean View was 3 dumpsters, with nothing about recycling listed anywhere. The only things thrown in there were mattresses and broken pieces of glass and wood. Even if that area is actually a place where recyclables are taken, Harbor Point does nothing to inform its residents. Also, having only one area in a complex as big as Harbor Point, is hardly adequate. I then went back to check my lease, and there is nothing about recycling mentioned in it. There is only information about trash and trash removal.

Since talking to Harbor Point staff failed to bring about any answers, I decided to interview actual residents. Christie Volkernick, a student at UMB, an employee of the office of Student Housing, and a Harbor Point resident, said “I wish Harbor Point has recycling and I bring items home on occasion to recycle.” I also asked Michael Valenzuela, the director of Student Housing at UMB and a Harbor Point resident if he knew anything on the subject.  He replied, “I have neither seen nor heard anything about a recycling program.”  Tyler O’Brien, an environmental science student, says, “I have never seen recycling at Harbor Point before. There is a designated recycling area, but the sign is only there sometimes. It is such a shame that recycling is not promoted at Harbor Point.”   

This mysterious absence of recycling is something that needs to be addressed.  Putting designated recycling areas around the complex would be a good first step.  Harbor Point is owned by Corcoran Jennisen Management.  For a company that claims on their website, “since 1971, Joe Corcoran and Gary Jennison have developed property in excess of $2.5 billion. They also pioneered the development and management of mixed-income housing – a feat they consider their most rewarding accomplishment.

“Today, with Marty Jones as President, Corcoran Jennison has expanded its scope and portfolio to include properties in 15 states, and management of over 24,000 residential units, with 2,000 employees. Our story is one of people, partnerships, communities and success.”

If they can expand into 15 states, they should be able to develop adequate recycling programs within their communities.  It is not only a social obligation, but a moral one which by neglecting reflects poorly on the company.