66°

Putting the I in Intramurals

Please allow me this opportunity to say welcome back from semester break and certainly to offer my very best wishes for a productive and successful spring semester. Periodically, during the semester I hope to use this space to bring you news from your Division of Athletics, Recreation, Special Programs & Projects – information that I trust will be of value and above all, informative. 

I am encouraging our entire community to take advantage of programs we offer that allow you to exercise, meet others and create a healthy balance to your campus life. I firmly believe that the quality of student life is enhanced by engaging in positive social and physical activity. Here at UMass Boston opportunities for participation in intramurals, passive recreation, fitness and wellness are available and vital to the good health of each of you.

In order to play a sport in college, a student does not need to have mastered the sport or have years of experience. Involvement in a sport requires simply an interest. The office of Intramurals and Recreation serves as a venue for students to participate in athletic activities. Along with the growth of our Division III collegiate teams, participation in Intramurals and Recreation has increased. The growth can be attributed to the tireless efforts of the staff that have incorporated newer events which in turn have captured the attention of students. The Office of Intramurals and Recreation consists of the following three areas: Beacon Fitness Center, Swimming Pool, and Intramural Sports & Recreation. Most students do not realize that by using these facilities and programs they are becoming a part of the fabric that drives the Division of Athletics and Recreation, Special Programs & Projects.

The increased success of the department did not happen quickly; for the last five years there has been a renewed commitment to rebuild strong athletic programs with a focus on the Beacon Fitness Center and Intramural Recreation.

From 2005 thru 2011, student participation in the intramural component has risen by 104%. The programs went from relative obscurity to the forefront of campus life in short order.

Thanks to our amazing staff we have continued to plan sporting events and organize intramural activities that draw large numbers of students. Intramurals consist of billiards, table tennis, basketball tournament, indoor soccer, squash, and kickball. We also offer an extensive waterfront recreation program that includes sailing lessons general sailing and kayaking. Similarly, the Beacon Fitness Center has expanded to better accommodate students’ requests. The fitness center is not only equipped with the latest workout machines but it also schedules classes in aerobics, zumba, yoga etc. Each semester the student evolves and as a result the Office of Intramurals and Recreation has dedicated itself to meeting their needs.

Collegiate teams and intramural sports differ greatly. Intramural sports are flexible which suits our commuting students. The sports typically take place during the day and usually last one day unless it is a tournament. This gives the students the liberty of choosing any flexible sport that they want to participate in. An enticing part about the sports participation is that students can join as many as they choose. More than getting in shape and being involved on campus, intramurals provides a platform for students to network with one another through sports. Intramurals and Recreation has built a community based around the students that are actively involved in these activities.

The demands for Intramurals and Recreation has led to the development of a website (http://www.umb.dosportseasy.com/index.php) in which all of the office’s activities are featured. The website showcases user friendly tabs in which a student can sign up to be part of a particular sport or team. If you find yourself looking to get back in shape or be part of a sport, the Office of Intramurals and Recreation can be the place for you. This spring you can be a part of the student body that is staying in shape by having stress-free fun!     Please contact the following staff for more information.   Assistant Director of Athletics for Intramurals & Recreation:Chris Fitzgerald 617.287.6788 [email protected]

Interim Health & Fitness Program ManagerAbbey Lade

617.287.6784

[email protected]

Intramural Program ManagerRick Sledzick

617.287.7830

[email protected]