66°

“Only a Couple of Beers”

While replay might make interference plays being scapegoats a thing of the past, drunk guys running across the field aren’t going anywhere. The act is about as old as the sport itself, and occasionally, it can get you more notoriety than you might think. That’s what happened to Brandon Kalantzis of Manchester, NH last spring, when he leapt on the field at Fenway Park and was speared by a security guard 10 seconds later. A video of the incident went viral and for a few days in May, Kalantzis was a god-like figure in Sox nation and beyond, which included an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live. He recently described the incident to the Mass Media.

Take me back to that night. What inspired you to jump into the field of play?

Honestly, it’s something I’ve always thought about doing. I’ve always been a huge NE fan, no matter what sport it is… I was kind of in the moment. I’d had a couple of beers; it was an impulse decision.

Did you expect your run to end with getting speared like that?

No, not at all, I got three cracked ribs because of that.

What did you think the outcome would be?

I didn’t really think about it.

Do you think fans have a right to get involved with the game?

You know how Boston fans are; we’re crazy… I think there’s nothing wrong with it; I’m just a huge fan. I’m not a jerk or anything. I’m definitely proud of it – I wouldn’t take it back.

What do you think about someone like Steve Bartman, who interfered with a huge play and cost the Cubs an out?

As long as you’re not really interfering with an actual play, there’s nothing wrong with it… I didn’t actually interfere with the game itself… if you’re going to do it in the middle of a play, that’s a problem.

Have there been any legal repercussions since that night?

No, all of my charges were dropped, and I’m actually allowed at Fenway Park again. I haven’t been, though.

Maybe you should throw out the first pitch.

Ha ha, I would love to. I want to reach out to Dustin Pedroia because I had his jersey on when I ran out.

Do you think it was all worth it?

Me being as big of a Boston fan as I am, yeah. There is no doubt in my mind. I’ll never do it again, but it was definitely worth the impulse moment when I did.”