66°

Beacon Update: Oct. 11, 2011

Brycen+Dowd
Brycen Dowd

Who Stepped Up?

Brycen Dowd

Mens Soccer

The junior goalie from Mansfield has been on fire for the Beacons. He recorded three straight shutout wins for UMB over Becker, Southern Maine, and Newbury. He played every minute this year for the Beacons and has a phenomenal GAA of .9 for the 7-3 squad. It is obvious that the Beacons would not have the level of success they’ve enjoyed this year without Dowd, and he still has seven matches to go to try to make his season go down in Beacons history.

Women’s Tennis

5-6 (2-3 LEAC)

The ladies played 3 matches this week, and had a fourth postponed by rain (what else is new?). The week started off on a high with a 9-0 domination of Eastern Nazarene, and that momentum was carried into a 6-3 win at home over Wentworth. Unfortunately the week ended on a down note with an 8-1 drumming at the hands of Bridgewater. The Beacons still have 4 matches left to try to get above .500 and move up the ranks of the Little East. Hieu Nguyen has been the top performer so far this year, with a 10-1 overall record. The doubles team of MaKenna Arrigo and Anitra Kloczewiak has also been fantastic, with a 7-3 record so far.

Next Match: 10-11 V. Worcester, 3 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

8-4 (2-1 LEAC)

The week started off with a bang on Monday for the ladies. They got an intense 2-1 win at Wentworth in 2OT. Sam Cristoforo netted the game winner with less than 3 minutes left in the second bonus period. Dani Perkins made a clutch save on a shot that would’ve tied the match once again, and the ladies managed to escape. Their only other game would be a unique win over Salve Regina, in which they would score all 3 of their goals in a 2-minute stretch at the end of the 2nd half. Krista Ledin has been burning it up these last few weeks. The freshman has 10 goals so far this year, and her sister Jamie leads the team with 3 assists. The ladies have 3 games this week, so they have a great chance to take the conference lead and gear up for a tournament run.

Volleyball

16-2 (3-0 LEAC)

The ladies have been on fire. While they did lose their first two matches in Hawaii, they haven’t lost since. The Beacons have only lost 6 SETS since those first two matches, and everything seems to be firing on all cylinders. There best match so far was a 3-2 win over rival Tufts. They followed that up by dominating the Steven Ducks invitational in NJ, and tacking on easy wins against Southern Maine and Endicott. Their last match (as of 10-7) was an easy win over RIT as part of the Beacons invitational. The only question right now is, can anyone pose a challenge for UMB? If the team keeps clicking the way they have been, then the answer is no.

Next Match: 10-11 V. Umass Dartmouth, 6 p.m.

Calendar

Tuesday October 11

-Volleyball Vs. UMass Dartmouth, 6 p.m.

-Women’s Tennis Vs. Worcester State, 2 p.m.

Wednesday October 12

-Men’s Soccer Vs. Emerson, 3:30 p.m.

Thursday October 13

-Women’s Soccer Vs. Emerson, 3:30 p.m.

-Volleyball @ Wellesley, 7 p.m.

-Women’s Tennis Vs. Suffolk, 3 p.m.

Friday October 14

-Volleyball @ MIT Invitational, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday October 15

-Women’s Soccer @ Eastern Connecticut, 1:30 p.m.

-Volleyball @ MIT Invitational, 11 a.m.

-Men’s Soccer Vs. Eastern Connecticut, 1 p.m.

-Women’s Tennis @ Plymouth State, noon (season finale)