66°

Beacon Update: Oct. 25, 2011

Tayla Andrews

Tayla Andrews

Who Steped Up?

Tayla Andrews

Women’s Soccer

The sophomore forward from Plymouth has been rock solid the year for the Beacons. She has five goals and five assists for the 11-6 squad, and has been a leader on and off the field for the duration of the season. She had great success last year as a freshman en route to being named LEAC Rookie of the Year. Andrews netted two assists in the Beacons’ last win, an 8-0 shellacking of Mass Maritime.

Men’s Soccer

9-5 (2-4 LEAC)

The guys only played once this week, because their match against Wheelock on Thursday, Oct. 20, was cancelled due to weather. The guys got the 4-0 win at Western Connecticut, their other match of the week. Brycen Dowd broke the 26-year UMB single season shutout record with seven while in goal. Stefanos Galouzis built his LEAC lead in points with a goal, and Douglas Silviera had two assists. In all the guys had four different goal scorers in a total team effort, and they have two matches left this week to try to get a strong finish to a successful season. They have two matches this week, both at home, so make sure you support the guys as they head for the home stretch.

Women’s Soccer

11-6 (3-3 LEAC)

The week couldn’t have started off better for the ladies. Krista Ledin had a hat trick, and Dani Perkins was excellent in goal in a 8-0 drubbing of Mass Maritime. The Beacons looked phenomenal throughout, but especially in a six goal second half. They tried to roll that momentum into a home match v. Western Connecticut on Saturday, Oct. 22, but despite a late goal from Sam Cristoforo to cut the deficit to 2-1, the ladies couldn’t close it out and suffered the one goal loss. They have one regular season match remaining before they head out for the conference tournament on Tuesday, Oct. 25.

Next Match: Oct. 25 V. Framingham, 3 p.m.

Volleyball

22-3 (5-0 LEAC)

The 17th ranked ladies only played twice this week. It started off with an easy victory over Western Connecticut where they didn’t drop a set, and veteran Shannon Thompson led the way with 12 kills. Their next match was on Thursday, Oct. 20, against Wellesley. The Blue had been gaining a reputation as dragon slayers, with a drumming of Springfield earlier in the week, and they gave the same treatment to UMB. The ladies lost to a team in the mainland U.S. for the first time all year, 3-0. With their record win streak having come to an end, the ladies will be looking to bounce back with home matches against Plymouth State and Keene. Their season will conclude on Saturday, Oct. 22, vs. Brandeis.

Support Volleyball!

On Thursday, Oct. 27 UMB volleyball is asking all of their fans to come out and support the nationally-ranked Beacons on senior night in the Clark Athletic Center. Prior to the start of the match, seniors Molly Rattigan and Cassy Hanneman will be recognized by their teammates, coaches, friends, and family in a special ceremony. Following the presentation, the Beacons will take on Little East Conference opponent Keene State College in one of their biggest matches of the season. With their post-season reputation on the line, the Beacons are asking everyone to come out and cheer them on. UMB volleyball aims to earn their third straight Little East Conference title this season and have their eyes set on returning to the NCAA Division III tournament.