66°

Wanted: Essays About Diversity

Priscilla De Gregory, UMass Boston senior and her parents at The
Kingston-Mann Awards banquet, October 22, 2010.

Priscilla De Gregory, UMass Boston senior and her parents at The Kingston-Mann Awards banquet, October 22, 2010.

Affirming the principle that undergraduate students are capable of becoming producers as well as receivers of knowledge, the Kingston-Mann Awards recognize, reward, and celebrate outstanding student research contributions to diversity & inclusion scholarship. The project began in 2004 as a consortium of six New England colleges and universities. The best essays will win $300.

Essays may be submitted at any time during the year. See the application guidelines: [email protected] or contact [email protected]

Last November UMass Boston celebrated student essay winner, Priscilla De Gregory, winner of the Esther Kingston-Mann Student Achievement Award for Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion Scholarship. She took one of three top prizes offered by the Esther-Kingston-Mann Awards. De Gregory’s paper, “Immigrants and Their Children: Second Generation Americans Split Between Cultures” was written for a colloquium taught by prof. Dick Cluster. It explores the relationship of second-generation Americans and their immigrant parents, particularly mothers and daughters, and how it is affected by language and culture. De Gregory’s analysis draws on contemporary fiction, cultural commentary, statistical analysis, and on personal experience.

This year the submission deadlines are Dec. 30, and June 2, 2012. Each year, submissions by students from participating campuses are judged by an inter-campus awards committee.