63°

Beacon Update: Oct. 18, 2011

Shannon Thompson playing volleyball.

Shannon Thompson Volleyball

The junior middle hitter has been having an outstanding season as usual for the Beacons. The 18-2 squad has been decimating the competition this year, and hasn’t dropped a set in October. Thompson has made major contributions in all of those wins. She leads the team in kills with 283 and blocks with 48. Watching her hit the ball is frightening. She has great power that must be horrifying from across the net. She broke the UMB all time kills record on Tuesday with 20 against UMass Dartmouth. Those gave her an astounding 1,191 for her career and she is only a junior. Thompson is looking at another All-American season for UMB.

Men’s Soccer

8-5 (1-4 LEAC)

It’s been a pretty quiet week for the guys. They started off with a huge win over Emerson. Hugo Costa scored a hat trick in the 5-0 dismantling of the Lions. Brycen Dowd had his fourth shutout in 5 matches. The other match of the week was on Saturday, Oct. 15, against Eastern Connecticut. The guys didn’t fare as well in this tough conference match, and fell by a score of 2-0. The Warriors played fantastic defense and UMB just couldn’t manage to sneak one in the net.

Next Match:10/20 vs. Wheelock, 3:30 p.m.

Women’s Tennis

6-8 (3-5 LEAC)

The week started off with an easy 7-2 win over Worcester State. The ladies had reached their high point for the season with their third win in four matches. The next match was a setback against Salem. The ladies suffered an 8-1 loss despite numerous close matches. After a Thursday, Oct. 13 match against Suffolk was postponed (again), the ladies closed out their regular season at Plymouth with an 8-1 loss. The ladies will now most likely be seeded sixth in the LEAC tournament, which starts on Tuesday.

Next Match; 10/18 @ Plymouth State (LEAC Tournament). 2 p.m.

Volleyball

21-2 (4-0 LEAC)

As usual it’s been a fantastic week for the ladies. The 17th-ranked team in the nation hasn’t lost since their season opener in Hawaii, and they haven’t dropped a set this month. The week started off with a dominant showing against UMass Dartmouth, where Shannon Thompson set the new UMB kill record. The greatness continued at the MIT invitational, where the Beacons beat Western New England on Friday, Oct. 14, and also rolled over Williams and beat the host school in a tight 3-2 match on Saturday, Oct. 15. The regular season is winding down with only six matches to go, and if the season has been any indicator, it would be shocking if the ladies didn’t go on to win the LEAC.

Calendar

Tuesday October 18, 2011

Women’s Soccer v. Mass Maritime, 3:30 p.m.

Volleyball @ Western Connecticut, 6 p.m.

Womens Tennis @ Plymouth State, 2 p.m.

Wednesday October 19, 2011

Volleyball @ Wellesley, 7 p.m.

Thursday October 20, 2011

Men’s Soccer v. Wheelock, 3:30 p.m.

Saturday October 22, 2011

Women’s Soccer v. Western Connecticut, 1 p.m.

Men’s Soccer @ Western Connecticut, 5 p.m.