66°

“Captain America: The First Avenger” Review

Now to be honest, usually I’m a skeptic when it comes to superhero movies. For every “Dark Knight” there is a “X Men Origins:Wolverine”. So when I heard that “Captain America” was being made into a major motion picture I was optimistic but doubtful that it would meet my expectations. The one major advantage my favorite comic book had over say, Superman is that it’s fresh. Not everyone knows the history of the hero or the supporting characters so they don’t have preconceived notions about what it should be. There also haven’t been six prequels or sequels that “The First Avenger” has to live up to.   MA native Chris Evans plays the hero in the film set in 1942, where skrawny wanna-be soldier Steve Rogers is transformed into Captain America by an experimental military procedure. Evans is very believable in the role and exhibits the Captain’s mental transformation perfectly. Hugo Weaving does a satisfactory job as the main villain in the plot, Dr. Schmidt of Hydra, the Nazi’s science division. The film is directed beautifully and the sets and locations used make for very believable scenes set in the 1940s.    My 2 personal favorite characters in the film are the Colonel (played by Tommy Lee Jones) and agent Peggy Carter (played by Hayley Atwell) they both add some comedy to the story and are perfect supports to the strong performance Evans gives. The movie is surprisingly funny, but not in a way that takes away from the somber notes. You always feel as though you are in an action flick but there are definitely giggle inducing moments.   Should you see it? Yes! This is a seriously good movie. It’s not too long, it’s not too bloody, it’s not too sappy. The film is just an all around good time, and a nice look into the early days of Marvel, when patriotism was king and not every hero had ridiculous powers. This is an all around good movie. Will it win any oscars? No. Will it win huge at the box office? Hell yeah.