66°

Fall Sports Preview

Kristin Mulry, Womens Soccer
Kristin Mulry, Women’s Soccer

This may be the year for the Beacons. Sports are becoming a bigger part of UMB’s culture by the day, and more and more talented recruits from around the country are flocking to the Clark Center and joining our programs. The fall season has historically been the strongest at UMB, and last year was historic. Volleyball went to the Elite Eight, farther then any team in Beacons history and women’s soccer was one win away for an NCAA tournament birth. Men’s soccer and women’s tennis also look good going into 2011. For the first time in program history, volleyball enters the season nationally ranked (19th), and whispers of a national title run have begun around campus. 2011 has the makings of being a historic year for UMB sports, and the fall season is looking great. Here are previews for the individual teams:

Women’s Soccer

Last Season:14-6-4 (5-3 LEAC)

Preseason Rank: 4th in conference

Last year’s Lady Beacons made an improbable run to the conference championship game. Their greatest win came in the LEAC tourney, where they stunned Eastern Connecticut to win a 1-1 match on penalty kicks. In their first ever conference championship, the ladies were heartbroken 1-0 by Western Connecticut. Amy Zombeck’s squad is coming into 2011 hungry and focused. They are led by Sophomore Tayla Andrews, whose fantastic rookie season featured 16 goals and 4 assists. The forward out of Plymouth was named LEAC rookie of the year last year and her 6 game winning goals last year were tied for 1st in the league. Sophomore Katie Coscia is coming off a solid year in goal. The Pittsfield native stopped 83% of the shots she faced in 2010 and had an impressive 8 shutouts.

Mass Media Prediction: 17-5-2 (5-3 LEAC)

First Game: 9-1-11 at Western New England

Women’s Tennis

Last Season: 8-8 (2-6 LEAC)

It was a tale of two seasons last year for the Lady Beacons. They were phenomenal out of conference but were fairly dismal within the LEAC. If they can improve their league record, the Lady Beacons will be a force in 2011. Eric Berg’s squad is led by junior Anitra Kloczewiak, who posted a strong 10-6 individual record and went 9-6 in doubles play. Sophomore Destanee Ringler also had a strong 2010, having gone 11-5 in individual play. The team will have a fresh look this year after losing seniors Brittany Engel and Carolina Gonzalez, who were both major contributors. 

First match: 9/8 vs. Lesley at BC High, 3 PM

Mass Media Prediction: 9-7 (4-4 LEAC)

Men’s Soccer 

Last Season: 6-11 (3-4 LEAC)

Preseason Conference Ranking: 6th

Coach Myles Berry’s squad has a good amount of talent. Stefanos Galouzis is coming off a stellar 2010 in which he earned conference rookie of the year honors. The midfielder out of Watertown scored a conference best 12 goals and was second in the conference in points, amassing 24. Junior forward Reyn Johnson is also coming off a solid year in which he netted 5 goals and assisted on 4 more. Junior Bryceen Dowd is coming off a shaky season in goal, where he saved only 68% of the shots he faced, but he is refocused this year and with a full season of experience under his belt he will definitely improve. 

Season Opener: 9-7-11 at Suffolk University, 8:30 PM

Mass Media prediction: 8-8 (4-3 LEAC)