66°

Royal Flush

Bathroom
Bathroom

The bathroom: arguably the most unappreciated thing and place in the world. Nobody cares that it literally has to take everybody’s crap/excrement and swallow it without complaints. Very few people care about the state of the bathroom, and the UMB management is one of the precious few that does. The school has made concerted efforts to improve the bathroom going experience of the students by incorporating a flushing system that doesn’t require the users to lift a finger. It’s been changed from the generic and conventional everyday toilet to a more technologically advanced and handicap friendly type of toilet.

The bathrooms have been newly equipped with lower sinks, automatic taps so you can wash your hands, lower coat hangers and pressure-operated WCs. Holly Sutherland, Manager of Master Plan and Construction Communications, was the spearhead and brains behind the bathroom remodeling. “The ADA code and the state of the bathrooms is what prompted the renovation. It took about a year and cost a little over a million dollars to complete this project in twenty-seven bathrooms around campus,” she said about the renovation.

When interviewed, Chris Goldy, assistant to the Director of Labs in the Psychology Department, expressed his support for the new look of the bathrooms. Being a differently abled individual himself, he said, “I think the bathrooms are much better, I see more handicap accessibility, but the toilets flush 3 times and I can usually do it in one.”

The students were a little less observant and more indifferent to the changes to the restrooms. Edwin Barrera, a junior whose major is criminal justice, had this to say when asked if he noticed the changes to bathrooms and if they made any difference to him: “No, I didn’t notice, not at all, and I’m not really a germaphobe so it doesn’t really affect me.”

Michelle Coniff, a senior majoring in international management, spoke about the upgrades in the washroom saying, “The new bathrooms, especially the ones in McCormack, look much better and cleaner and I think it’s a great change. I’m not a complex person and I was happy with the old bathrooms, but it is definitely a good change.”

The custodians were of a split opinion though. Maria, of the housekeeping department said, “People think they don’t need to flush so they just get up and sometimes the toilet stays dirty, so it doesn’t make my job any easier.” Another janitor said, “I like the changes, they make my job a lot easier. When I get there the place is as good as new.”

Well, upgrade welcome or not, people cannot do without the bathrooms so as long as they are in good order, I think most people would be satisfied.