66°

Wii – ZARD

Daniel Jung
Daniel Jung

Daniel Jung is a multi-talented student at UMB. He plays video games, practices multiple instruments, and produces his own music. He’s a senior pursuing a degree in business management, but what most don’t know is that he is a Super Smash Bros. Champion.

Dan was ranked #1 nationally at the peak of his career and is currently ranked at an estimated #16. Companies such as Major League Gaming, Red Bull and Boost Mobile have sponsored Dan. He also received support from local company Game Underground. He’s won up to $10,000 in one tournament, and a Swarovski crystal Wii in the New York City Grand Championship, a Nintendo-sponsored Brawl tournament.

Dan explained that for him it’s about having fun. “You get monetary prizes – cash prizes… just to play Super Smash. From playing a video game, it’s crazy, I know. [But] if you like the game, if you have the passion, if you have a good time, the money value is secondary.”

After starting to play Super Smash Bros. in 2004, Dan entered tournaments about once every month. “Lately it’s been once every several months because tournaments are infrequent in Massachusetts,” said Dan. He continued, “I have no time to travel around to places like Dallas, Washington or Cali[fornia].” Dan has won over 40 tournaments across the United States. His most-used characters are Fox and Sheik.

Dan says he spends a lot of time getting ready for the tournaments. He explained, “I would practice once every other day. I would play sometimes an hour or two; one time I traveled all the way to New York. I played from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. [the next day] nonstop. And then I had to drive all the way back home from New York to Boston. It’s not uncommon for someone from, for example, Maryland to come here just to challenge me and we would play for many hours.”

When asked if his status as Super Smash champion helps with his social life, Dan answered that he generally doesn’t talk about it. He explained he likes to keep things low-key, by stating, “Well, I really don’t go to people and say, ‘Hey guys! I’m a Super Smash Champion’ … I don’t tell people that I play tournaments like that. I just want to make friends like anyone else.”

After graduating from UMB, Dan hopes to find a managerial position in a firm or work for Major League Gaming. He’d like to communicate with video game players and manage relations in the company.

You can learn more about Dan through his twitter at twitter.com/KoreanDJ111.