66°

Grilled Cheesus

This isn’t your mother’s grilled cheese truck.

Grilled cheese is just a reliable childhood staple, right? Well, not anymore because grilled cheese has gone gourmet in a big way in Beantown.

At the corner of Chestnut Hill Avenue and Beacon Street, there is a bright yellow truck called “Roxy’s Gourmet Grilled Cheese”  Below: Owner James DiSabatino showing off a gooey masterpieces. four friends and a radio inside. It is the only food truck in Brighton and it anchors at a precarious spot, because Cleveland Circle is also home to ten other eateries. So why would this food truck pick such a competitive spot to park? What makes the owner think that his grilled cheese can compete with all these other well-established restaurants and bars?

Because James DiSabatino, the owner, has found a hole in the culinary lives of the local residents: gourmet grilled cheese. Trust me, once you’ve had one of their creations, you will understand. These four friends – James, Mike, Chris and Karl – know their stuff. Ask James any question about his menu and he will blow you away with his unexpected culinary expertise.

For instance, ask him about his Mushroom Melt. He will passionately launch into an explanation about confit of mushrooms and how they make the sandwich special. In case you were wondering, confit of mushrooms is a French delicacy. Essentially, you mix a few pounds of mushrooms together with lots of garlic, a couple dashes of other spices such as thyme and basil, and then let the mushrooms simmer in a baking pan covered with aluminum foil for an hour and a half in a 225-degree oven. When they are done simmering and are very tender, you strain the juices and voilà: you have confit of mushrooms!

A French delicacy is not generally something you would expect to find on a food truck menu. Do you know what else you wouldn’t expect? Arugula, braised short ribs or caramelized onions, but they are all there on this food truck’s menu. And this, folks, is what I mean when I say “gourmet grilled cheese.”

Any gourmet meal is in need of a gourmet side, and these boys have provided the answer: truffle fries. They cut the potatoes fresh, fry them and then toss them in truffle oil with a dash of salt and rosemary. They are the perfect addition to any of Roxy’s sandwiches.

Starting at 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, Roxy’s is blaring music and putting out some seriously good grilled cheese. And for all you folks on a budget, fear not! Each gourmet delight is only $7! This past Monday on my weekly visit to Roxy’s, I asked James why he started this little business. He asked me in return, “Is that a good grilled cheese?”

Slightly flabbergasted, I responded, “It is the best grilled cheese I’ve ever had.”

James smiled and said, “That is why I do this.”

If you love grilled cheese, check out Roxy’s and chow down on the best grilled cheese ever made. You won’t regret it!