66°

Authentic Celtic punk

Flogging Molly lights up the stage
Photo by Lindsay Hutchens
Flogging Molly lights up the stage

Flogging Molly is considered to be one of the most popular Celtic punk bands in America and on February 27th they’ll stop at the House of Blues for what is guaranteed to be a great show. Flogging Molly was founded in Los Angeles in 1997 by Irishman Dave King. Dave King remains the group’s front-man and guitarist; he is joined by Dennis Casey, Matthew Hensley, Nathen Maxwell, Bridget Regan, Robert Schmidt, and George Schwindt to make up the seven piece band that has been bringing venues down for over a decade.

The first reason most Flogging Molly fans will give for loving the band is their authenticity. Most Celtic punk bands are punk first, Celtic second.  Some strategically placed accordion or banjo, thrown into the punk music is utilized to make it sound Irish. Flogging Molly is authentic in their Irish sound, adding punk elements to a mostly Celtic setup that features traditional instruments, such as, the violin, tin whistle, banjo, bodhrán, and mandolin. Flogging Molly has adapted these instruments beautifully to their brand of rock to create a unique fused sound.

The band’s copious amounts of energy are on display in their live shows, which are always lively and fun. The live performances are showcased in Flogging Molly’s multiple live albums and DVDs. The best way to experience their energetic live show is, of course, to see them live. Flogging Molly’s recently released single, “Don’t Shut ‘Em Down,” seems to be carrying their tradition of fast paced, dynamic punk rock, that keeps bringing fans out in droves.

For more information and to buy tickets for the show in Boston, on February 27th, go to http://www.floggingmolly.com/