66°

Hot and sloppy

For all of you eaters who do not want greasy, pre frozen,over processed fast food, there is a treat waiting for you at Five Guys Burgers and Fries. When you order, cashier he shouts over his back to the cook, who slaps down a hunk of meat on to a hot skillet. At Five Guys all of the food on the menu is made to order.     Five Guys Burgers and Fries was founded in Arlington, Virginia in 1986. Its simple business plan, based on brisk service and quality comfort food,of has led to an explosion of franchises in the last two years. Five Guys has expanded into Massachusetts with new locations in Foxboro, Canton, Dedham, and Walpole. Every franchise has been met with extreme local fanfare and are getting busier by the day.     What separates Five Guys from other fast food establishments? For starters the chain uses freshly ground meat in their burgers and hot dogs. Everything is grilled right in front of you,    Five Guys’ food comes at a price. A burger, fries, and a drink at Five Guys will run you around $11.00 compared to $5.00 for a similar meal at Macdonald’s At first glance you might think this isnot a good thing, but it is. The price reflects the cost of ingredients and fresh produce which makes the meal more succulent. 

After you taste the final product and see the hearty portion sizes, you will realize its worth it.   The menu is tiny compared to that of the average fast food giants. It contains both single and double stacked hamburgers and cheeseburgers, kosher hot dogs, two kinds of fries, and two sizes of fountain drinks. The abbreviated menu

allows for streamlined ordering. But even with the shorter menu there is still a wait. The burgers take sometimes up to eight or nine minutes to cook fully.  

No matter what that person like, they can be sure to find something to satisfy their appetite. Five Guys offers fifteen different optional toppings for their burgers from caramelized onions to A-1 sauce. The array of burger toppings are customizable and prepared with care. Best of all it does not matter how many you load on, because they are all free.  

The real standout product at Five Guys are the fries. The chain offers two varieties, Five Guys style and Cajun style, and both are cut fresh each day from real Idaho potatoes. Fans rave about the crispy goodness, fried each day in peanut. Cooks fill up a cup with fries, place it in your bag, and then dump a second cup load in to your bag. Five Guys does not skimp out on portions.    Add in a drink and all the free peanuts you can eat and your in for a divine dining experience.