66°

Little East Conference Honors

Softball players Annie Thomas and Alexa St. Angelo were awarded honors by the Little East Conference for “Pitcher of the Week” and “Rookie of the Week,” respectively. 

Pitcher of the Week: Annie Thomas
April 10, with a heroic performance on the mound, Freshman Annie Thomas helped lead her team to back-to-back victories against Little East rival, Eastern Connecticut State University. During the first game of the double-header, Thomas performed extremely well, striking out seven batters, while only allowing three runs off of nine total hits. The Beacons outshined Eastern CT, winning eight to four after seven innings. Thomas’ victory brought her record to 3-0 on the weekend earning her the honors of LEC Pitcher of the Week.
On the year, Thomas has made 15 appearances, 13 of which were starts. During her time on the mound, Thomas has earned herself an ERA of .95, while bringing home 10 wins and just three losses. The pitcher has racked up a total of 84 strikeouts in the 96 innings she’s been in the circle. This is the second time Thomas has earned the accolade.
The Beacon pitcher is a vital piece to the softball teams championship aspirations. Thomas has a number of shutouts on the season and has become an ace for the UMass Boston side. If her performance continues, the freshman pitcher will be a lock for Little East Conference accolades come the end of the season.
Rookie of the Week: Alexa St. Angelo
During the first week’s stretch of April, freshman shortstop Alexa St. Angelo posted unbelievable batting numbers. Over a six-game stretch, Angelo posted a .550 batting average, an almost .600 on-base percentage, and a .700 slugging percentage. St. Angelo finished the week with three doubles, a pair of walks, a pair of stolen bases, and five RBIs. In her 25 games played this season, St. Angelo has a batting average of .351, with 16 RBIs, and two stolen bases.
During the April 10 matchup against Eastern Connecticut State University, the freshman came through in the clutch in both games of the double header.
Game 1: Despite batting a late spot in the batting lineup, the freshman shortstop managed to perfect the plate, going 4-for-4 at bat and earning three RBIs and one run scored. St. Angelo was extremely synced-in during the phenomenal performance, contributing half of the Beacons’ offensive points.
Beyond the stats, the shortstop came through when it mattered most. Heading into the seventh inning, the Beacons led six runs to three. In her last at bat, Angelo stepped up to the plate with two Beacons on base, patiently waiting for her pitch. The shortstop blasted a double to center field, changing the scoreboard to eight to three in the process. The hit made the Beacons’ lead insurmountable.
Game 2: St. Angelo followed up her game one performance with another epic display of batting. During the second game, the shortstop contributed three hits and a pair of RBI’s to the narrow-margin Beacons victory. The Beacon shortstop earned a crucial RBI in the seventh inning, increasing the Beacons’ lead to nine to six. The hit was a must-needed insurance run for the UMass Boston side. The Beacons barely beat Eastern Connecticut, winning by just one run.