57°

Lacrosse Beats Program Record on Senior Night

April 29 was a big Friday night game for University of Massachusetts Boston Lacrosse as they continued to succeed with their impeccable season, advancing their winning record to 12-5 after they defeated the University of Southern Maine Huskies in the last game of the season. With this twelfth win, the Beacons broke the program’s record for most wins in a season (previously 11) as they recognized ten seniors on their last home game of their careers.
Tyler Low is in his sixth season as Head Coach for the UMass Boston Lacrosse team. He remarked on this season playing an integral role in changing the culture of the program. “It’s been a long process, but we’ve finally got a roster that’s filled with guys who buy into what we’re trying to do here.”
Low is extremely proud of his players this season. He didn’t expect to have every player contribute to the program as much as the ones on this team do. “I couldn’t be happier with this team. The captains have really stepped up and shown leadership on and off the field, and I’m even surprised at some of the others who’ve stepped up as well.”
Key players on the lacrosse team this season are senior transfer Calvin Lee and senior goalie Craig Frehill, key components to the Beacons’ offense and defense respectively. Lee scored four of the 10 goals against the Huskies while Frehill combined for 12 stops. Low praised Frehill’s overall performance this season: “Frehill has been absolutely unbelievable this season. He’s excellently quarterbacked the defense and easily become the best goalie in the conference.” 
Frehill and fellow seniors Zach Medeiros and Nick Weiss make up the captains for this season and have helped change the culture of the program. Having ten seniors on the team proved to be a huge advantage with getting the freshmen/incoming players to adjust to the program. “Having ten seniors was a huge part of the success. Our roster was unique in that fact,” Low said. “The team dynamic developed rather fast with the veteran nature. The seniors’ mindset this season was pivotal for the freshmen and incomers to follow.”
Next year, Low plans to bring in another huge class to make up for the ten senior loss, but there will be a lot of returners next season as well to keep the competitive nature for a winning program going. Freshman Matt Murphy played a huge role this season and will be an effective returner to lead the Beacons. 
Low pushes his players in practice to be the hardest offense their defense plays against and for their defense to be the hardest that their offense plays against; that way, when game time comes, they get to shift all of the hard playing they do in practice to each other against the other teams. 
With this win against the Huskies, the Beacons will advance into their post-season as they travel to UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday for the quarterfinal round of the Little East Conference tournament. Low feels completely confident in his team. After playing everyone in the conference, he’s optimistic about facing them in playoffs. “Our regular season has shown that there’s not a team in our conference that we don’t have the ability to beat.” Low plans to prepare the team with scouting reports, game film, and faith in the coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments in order to win. 
This Beacons team’s chemistry, dynamic, and structure has really impacted the culture of UMass Boston Lacrosse. With ten seniors leading the way, the hunger for success in the playoffs is ferocious, but regardless of the results, this UMass Boston Lacrosse team has exceeded expectations and gone far beyond any other team in program history.