66°

Book Adaptations: Television or Movies

We currently are living in the golden age of television. Video camera technology has gotten better, acting ability has improved, sound quality has gone up, and writers are developing better story lines and pushing the envelope more and more.
Of course, there are a few shows that have jumped the shark, but generally speaking, creators of quality television shows know when it’s time to air the series finale. A few examples of this include (but are not limited to!) “Gravity Falls,” “Parks and Recreation” and “30 Rock.” All of which had very strong endings.
We are also living in a time where movies have gotten better. Generally speaking of course. There will always be an extremely stupid movie in the theaters. But most of the time the cinematography is beautiful and acting ability has improved.
Sometimes you can see this improvement when there are multiple films based on a series of books. I did not get to see the last Hunger Games film, but I did get to see the first installment of “Mockingjay.” The scene where Jennifer Lawrence tells the people of Panem that the Capitol just firebombed a hospital full of civilians never fails to make me tear up. Katnis Everdeen’s anger in that situation makes me feel helpless, and I never really feel that when I’m watching a film.
While the Hunger Games film series has made me feel emotional, I personally had no such reaction to the books. The story was good, yes, but the writing was poor and when you read “Mockingjay” you could tell Suzanne Collins was trying to make her deadline. And I have to admit, the movies were better quality than the books.
This is a rarity in Hollywood. When books are adapted into movies, things are cut out and quality usually goes down.
But what if books were made into television shows instead?
I think that’s a contributing factor to why “Game of Thrones” is so popular. I haven’t read the books and I have only seen a few episodes, but I liked the episodes I saw. In fact, I absolutely loved them.
With television shows you have more time to develop the plots as well as the characters. Like in books, television shows allow realistic character development. In films, the character development is quick and sometimes non-existent. Also, weekly episodes give the audience more time to grow attached to the characters.
As someone who has written several novels, personally, I would prefer my books to be made into television shows instead of films. I put a lot of work into these novels and to put it simply, they are my babies. Each character is carefully crafted and each one has a complex backstory that affects the way they act.  
If any of my books were to be made into a film, there simply would not be enough time to cover all the topics and subplots in each of my works. And if certain scenes and details were cut out I feel the quality would go down. (Also, the audience may be confused about what is going on.)
But if a work of mine was made into a television show, more details could be covered, there would be better character development and the audience would have more time to get attached to the characters. So over all, everything would be better quality.