66°

76ers Hire Colangelo, Fire Hinkie

Former NBA executive and new GM for the 76ers, Bryan Colangelo, has a CV that should give fans of the Philadelphia basketball team hope. 

The 76ers’ front office hired former NBA executive Bryan Colangelo as their new general manager. The announcement came in the wake of the resignation of former 76ers’ GM, Sam Hinkie.
While the change in staff was not reported to be a firing, it is likely that Hinkie was pushed out of the organization. Earlier in the 2015-16 basketball season, the 76ers’ owner, Josh Harris, reached out to Jerry Colangelo, the chairman of USA Basketball, for help in redirecting his ailing team. Jerry then accepted the role as chairman of basketball operation for the 76ers. The move made it clear that team owner Harris had lost trust in Hinkie’s “process” that seemed to be barely inching along.
In Hinkie’s three years as GM, the 76ers have posted the worst record in the NBA–every season. Even worse, each top three first-round pick the team acquired was continually wasted on high-risk, high-reward players that turn out to be busts (and play the same positions – three centers).
The new 76ers’ chairman, Jerry Colangelo, decided to keep the general manager role in house, hiring his own son, Bryan. While it’s clear Bryan’s father loves him, 76ers fans should be excited as well. After years of torment and anguish, their prayers for hope have been answered. The former NBA Executive of the Year Award, Bryan Colangelo, has a history developing successful organizations, such as the Phoenix Suns during the years with Steve Nash.
While the team is far from being a powerhouse, or even a playoff contender, Philadelphians can at least look forward to effort. No longer will the painstaking seasonal tanking take place in Philly. Fortunately for 76ers fans and players, the experience of the Colangelo duo is exactly what Philadelphia needs to not only become successful, but relevant again.