63°

A Call to Conceptualize the Student Journalist as Public Servant

A poet founds an apparel company, selling shirts made by veterans, for veterans. Trans students speak out about decency, struggle for policy change, and win. A group digs for Pilgrim artifacts at Plimoth Plantation. A professor telephones from Nigeria—he has devoted his entire career to resolving conflict.
For almost three years I have listened and asked, and done my best to accurately represent the stories and views of UMass Boston; the brilliance, the courage, and the vulnerabilities.
This job is not about the portfolio or the perks (although meeting famous musicians is sweet). It’s not about honing interview or writing skills. A successful journalism career should be a byproduct of good journalism, which can only be measured by its service to the public.
I am most proud of my sustained coverage of the regional opioid crisis and substance use disorder, and their intersection with our campus. In one self-critical op-Ed, I chastised the Mass Media over careless language that had the potential to further stigma for those in recovery.
To you who picked up this paper from the stand, thumbed through the pages (or clicked a link) to stumble onto my goodbye, I challenge you to serve our community. There are many centers and clubs doing substantive work for their constituents. Or do what I did. Head to the Mass Media office, Campus Center, room 3341. Start writing.
Farewell.