66°

Activist MarShawn McCarrel Commits Suicide on Ohio Statehouse Steps

Taken during a Black Lives Matter protest through the Boston streets on November 16, 2014 in response to a series of instances where law enforcement killed an African-American man.

“My demons won today, I’m sorry.”

These were the last words spoken by Black Lives Matter activist MarShawn McCarrel before committing suicide on the step of the Ohio state house.

McCarrel was well known and distinguished in his activist work. He recently received the Hometown Champion Award from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

McCarrel was very active in the community. He was the founder of a youth mentorship program in Ohio called “Pursuing Our Dreams,” which helped launch “Feed the Streets,” a project to feed the homeless.

He sent out his love via Twitter and shared what he wanted from life. According to authorities, there is no one who knows why McCarrel decide to take his life. Other protesters say that McCarrel could have been using his death as a message.

“Let the record show that I pissed on the state house before I left,” wrote McCarrel on his Twitter account. “If we don’t have to live through hell just to get to heaven. I’ma stay right here with you,” he continued.

Many activists have trouble sleeping, eating, and with anxiety. Some bottle these problems inside and never get a chance to express their feelings.

McCarrel has made a huge difference in this world with big shoes to fill.