66°

“Return of Kings” Argues Return of Legal Rape

Daryush “Roosh” Valizadeh, the leader of “neomasculine” group Return of Kings, suggested in a blog post published on February 16 that rape should be legalized in some settings. He has since labeled the post a “satirical thought experiment.”

On February 6, Return of Kings, a neo-masculine group, planned an international meeting in 43 countries across the world to discuss the legality of rape in certain instances.

Plans fell through due to international outrage against ideas in a published post on their website.

The organization, headed by Daryush “Roosh” Valizadeh, describes neo-masculinity as a combination of traditional beliefs, masculinity, and animal biology into one system.

Valizadeh’s organization Return of Kings (ROK) spoke out on their website, saying, “the world is increasingly punished and shamed in favor of creating an androgynous and politically-correct society that allows women to assert superiority and control over men.”

The ROK’s website is intended to be a safe space on the web for men who may not agree with Western culture and the direction it is headed.

On February 16, Valizadeh wrote a blog post titled “How to Stop Rape.” In the post, he says that in order to stop rape, it must be legal if it occurs on private property. “The violent act should not be illegal, so long as it was not done on public property,” said the post.

“Less women will be raped because they won’t voluntarily drug themselves with booze and follow a strange man into a bedroom, and less men will be unfairly jailed for what was anything but a maniacal alley rape,” continued Valizadeh.

The post caught much attention all over the world. Once he planned the group meetings, the public responded in dozens of protests and petitions to ban him from entering certain countries.

According to local news outlets in Syracuse, NY, Australia’s Immigration Minister Peter Dutton responded to the issue, stating, “People who advocate violence against women aren’t welcome in Australia.”

“In the past, people advocating violence against women have had their visa refused or cancelled,” said Minister Dutton.

After severe backlash, Valizadeh added to the original blog post that it was a “satirical thought experiment.”

Meetups were cancelled, accompanied with outreach to supporters saying he could no longer guarantee the safety or privacy of the men attending the events.