63°

Clinton Triumphs over a Blistering Trump

Clinton vs Trump

Monday’s presidential debate was one for the books. The much anticipated face-off between the two presidential candidates boasted impressive viewership numbers (84 million people tuned in worldwide), making it the most watched televised debate in American history. This fact is unsurprising given the maelstrom of controversy and widespread mockery that has been attributed to this election season.

Many of us tuned in, not for political relevancy, but to revel in the meme-worthy antics of the candidates, by which we were not disappointed. All jokes aside, this debate was a very important determining factor in this election. According to an article by Janet Hook and Andrew Ackerman of the Wall Street Journal: “A new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found that 34% of registered voters think the three presidential debates would be extremely or quite important in helping them decide whom to support for president. About 11% of voters are considered ‘debate persuadables’—that is, they think the debates are important and are either third-party voters or only loosely committed to either major-party candidate.”

To an indifferent, a-political outside party, the dynamics of the debate probably seemed more like two school children bickering than two political candidates in line to be the next leader of the freed world. Mudslinging was a central undertone for this event. But key issues were put to the forefront, and Clinton, in my opinion, came out on top with eloquence and competency in her responses. Trump, on the other hand, did not shy away from his normal antics, such as behaving like a tempestuous child who is too impatient to wait his turn.

His constant interruptions during Clinton’s allotted speaking times were characteristic of Trump, yet could have been handled much more effectively by the debate mediator, Lester Holt. His lack of authoritative action enabled these impulsive outbursts.  Clinton exuded poise and professionalism. Trump was the picture of unease and agitation. Clinton’s words were indicative of her preparedness and knowledge of key issues brought up in the debate. Trump lacked clarity in his speaking points, and seemed altogether flustered for the entirety of the event.

Clinton’s decisive points on race, gender, and national security are really what made her shine in this debate. Rather than evading questions and making simplistic, generalized statements about complex issues as Trump did, she spoke with authority and experiential knowledge.

Blatant attacks were made from both sides, but Trump rose above passive jabs to incorporate his usual inflammatory remarks. These remarks were yet another tactic to please loyal followers who praise his unfiltered, compulsory behavior and hateful rhetoric, and also were used to deflect his own uncertainties and misinformation about topics. His bombastic outbursts and indecisiveness on various issues dampened his opportunity at victory and in garnering favor among voters.

According to voter polls, Clinton was the victor of Monday night’s debate, yet there is still much consternation as to just how well-suited she is to be the next president of the United States. In all honesty, I am not brimming with support for Hillary Clinton. Do I think that she has the foresight and political experience to be a successful leader? Yes. But I do still find myself harboring serious doubts about her overall effectiveness in propelling this country toward a better future. She exhibited strong qualities in the debate, but I still get a sense of uncertainty when I envision her as the next president.

Will I vote for Hillary at the polls? Absolutely. But only because the alternative evokes such anxiety and terror that I feel compelled to resort to such preventative measures as voting in favor of any opposing candidate to Trump. I refuse to let a racist, sexist, xenophobic narcissist becomes the leader of our country because I chose inaction over preventative action.
From any angle you look at this, our future as a nation in tinged with uncertainty. Yet that uncertainty does not have to be invested in the bleak, oppressive vision that one candidate so obviously alludes to in his proposed policies and ideals for the future of this country. It’s up to you to decide the worthier candidate. But from where I’m sitting, in light of Monday night’s debate and pretty much all other instances in this election, the choice is glaringly clear.