66°

Newly Renovated Weight Training Room

UMass Boston Athletics revamped the varsity weight room in the Clark Athletic Center, adding an anti-slip floor and hanging inspirational posters on the walls. 

University of Massachusetts Boston Athletics is undergoing major developments through the recent changes in its facilities. The Clark Athletic Center includes a massive gymnasium that was completely remodeled in 2013; areas remodeled included The Beacons Ice Arena, training rooms, locker rooms, student-athlete study hall, and now a newly renovated weight training room. 
Geoffrey Ebbs was officially made the head director of the athletic performance program for all of the athletic teams at the end of 2015, but had been working as an athletic trainer at UMass Boston since he graduated two years ago in 2013. The plans for renovating the weight room have always been a dream for him since he started working there. Renovations began during the summer of 2015. 
“The main priority was the floor. The painting on the walls and the additional photographs of the athletes came shortly after that. I have to give a huge thanks to our Sports Information Director, Dave Wahlberg, for redesigning the room.”
Ebbs explained how the floor prior to renovations was slick and unsafe for plyometric workouts. Now, with the new floor, paint job, athletic photographs, and new equipment, the weight room is not only safe for its athletes, but provides an atmosphere that enhances the quality of the program. 
“I wanted these athletes to want to be here. A well-equipped and proper-looking weight facility builds excitement in its users. It also shows the commitment I have to them to make their workouts fully effective, which ultimately produces winning attitudes.”
Junior softball player and criminal justice major, Gia Raczkowski, expressed her experience with the new weight room: “The renovated and enhanced weight room is awesome. It makes such a difference when it comes to training. I never leave a workout feeling disappointed or as if I could’ve done more. Now, we have all of the equipment needed to best benefit us, and it is accessible to us six days a week.”
Raczkowski mentioned her gratitude toward the addition of Airdyne bikes to the weight room. “These are way better than running. The combination of both the progressive resistance and full body movement makes your body burn more fuel or calories than a standard treadmill or exercise bike.”
Ebbs has drastically improved the weight training program at UMass Boston by choosing workouts that aren’t so much strength based as they are focused on movement. “I teach the athletes workouts that prevent injury. I train their bodies to be able to withstand their movements in practice.”
Although the weight-room has undergone many changes, Ebbs still has further plans for the facility and program. “I want to continue to upgrade the program with additions like cable training. Hopefully, the creative room next door will become part of the weight room so there could be more room for mobility workouts or even the possibility of a turf floor. I love my job here and I plan to stay awhile until this program reaches its full potential.” 
The Clark Athletic Center continues to evolve from its start three years ago when the gym was remodeled. Now that the weight room is redesigned, the completely new baseball stadium will be finished before the 2016 season, and fundraising has already begun for a new hockey rink in the future. UMass Boston’s athletics is certainly developing into a credible part of the school, and these new additions will create the best experience for athletes, as well as encourage students to get involved and support sports programs.