66°

My Sincerest of Apologies

I would just like to take this time to say I’m sorry to those who I might have offended with any of my crazy little columns. Wait…no…I’m sorry, I just can’t do it. I can’t apologize for my opinion, I can’t apologize for what I think, and I can’t apologize for writing a column based upon my own views.

For anyone who reads my column, I thank you and really do love hearing from you. I know that I am not the center of the universe and my opinions are solely my own. There are some who agree with what I say and there are others who think I’m about on par with the third grade reading level.

Let me speak my peace just to set the record straight. I am not an uneducated person; I am simply a person with an opinion who writes about it. While this is a news related column, it isn’t news and shouldn’t be read as fact, and if you want that please refer to another source cause this is my OPINION.

I never make any claims to be the all-knowing, warm, fuzzy center of the universe. My claim is simply that I want to drag issues out into the open and encourage those of you who might read me to talk about it, regardless of how they feel about what I say.

Many make the claim that I’m wrong, and there’s nothing I hate more then being told my opinions are wrong. In my mind there is no such thing as a wrong opinion. People say there are two sides to every story, and I must whole heartedly disagree. There are multiple sides to every story and everyone will perceive something differently, it’s just human nature.

To that end, anyone who says that my ideas or opinion are silly or uneducated is terribly off base. I know my fair share of things, while I may be no expert, I am not a moron and henceforth don’t like being called silly or uneducated.

I really hate using up my precious little time here to talk about something that isn’t related to news at all, but I read something that I really took to heart. Someone wrote a letter to my editor about my column last week (available on page 10). In that response she states, “I hope Jay will understand that and promote a more positive and intellectual column the next time around.”

She also refers to my comparisons as “silly” and please believe me that the comparisons I drew were made to be nonsensical to help me arrive at a point. I know the EU would never require the United States to disband the marines; the ridiculousness of the comparison is something I often do to reinforce points.

I understand that the topic of Palestine and Israel is very controversial, and I encourage descent in regard to my opinion. However, for those who might want to take shots at me as a writer of ideas, that I have a problem with. Find fault with my comparisons, my poor use of language, anything, I don’t care, but if you please, at least spare me the decency of talking to me like an adult, not like moron with a typewriter.

In regards to Israel and Palestine, I am not a Jewish man or a Muslim man; I’m just a goofy looking white kid with ideas and opinions.

That said, I don’t want to beat this thing into the ground, nor do I want to sound like a cry-baby who can’t take what he dishes out. However, I will beat it into the ground and I will retaliate if you want to attack me as a person.

I encourage people to talk to me, and am more than willing to speak with anyone in person (you can usually find me in the media office, Campus Center second floor 2400) or through email ([email protected]).

Just please take me for what I am, I am a person with ideas and opinions that likes to openly talk about political topics. When people refer to me as uneducated, it not only infuriates me, but it forces me to use up my precious little vent space on defending my right to speak my mind as an EDUCATED person who may not always agree with everyone, but RESPECTS everyone’s point of view.