66°

Donlan’s Difference-maker Brushed Off MIT, 9-8 UMB Finish Fifth In LEC And Head For The Play-offs

Sophomore attackman Ryan O´Rourke finished the 2005 season with 65 points (29 goals, 36 assists) to lead the Little East Conference.

BY SHUN HASEGAWAStaff Writer

With 15 seconds to go in regulation, UMass Boston junior Patrick Donlan sank a game-winning goal, assisted by sophomore Ryan O’Rourke, in a Beacons’ 9-8 victory over hosting MIT on Thursday, April 28.

Leading the UMass Boston men’s lacrosse team (9-5, 2-4 LEC), Donlan had a game-high five points (four goals, one assist), collecting three of them in the second half. O’Rourke tallied one and assisted three, while his classmate Matt Ficarra added another goal and a couple of helpers.

MIT (5-8) came back from being down 1-4 and equalized three one-goal deficits later, but the Engineers never had a lead during the 60-minute match in which they outshot the visitors, 30-23.

UMB wrapped up its regular season on Saturday with a 15-4 loss to Little East Conference foe Eastern Connecticut State University (8-5, 5-1 LEC). The Beacons finished fifth in conference play among seven contenders. They will visit fourth-place Plymouth State University in the quarterfinals of the LEC Tournament scheduled on Tuesday, May 3. The result was not available at press time (go to www.littleeast.com).

Against MIT, Ficarra put UMB on the board with an assisted goal six minutes into the match. Freshman Jonathan Ruiz, sophomore Christopher Hanafin and Donlan scored consecutively to give the Beacons a 4-1 margin. Hanafin and Donlan each added another goal in the second period.

MIT managed to tie the score before halftime, 6-6, scoring five times during a five-minute span, including an equalizer by Carter Powers at 0:07.

Donlan assisted O’Rourke’s goal five minutes into the third stanza. After MIT’s Taylor tied the score, Donlan threw his third goal of the day into the cage to put the Beacons up, 8-7.

In the fourth quarter, Taylor again made it flat with an unassisted goal with 2:09 to go, only before the Engineers succumbed to Donlan’s second golden goal of the season.

Two days later, Eastern Connecticut State University (8-5, 5-1 little east) defeated UMB by 15-4 in the regular season finale for the both teams at Willimantic, CT. The Warriors took a 5-1 lead before halftime, and the fatal 8-3 third quarter handed the Beacons their 12th straight loss in this series.

Beacons goaltender Nick Eaton made 20 saves during the busy game, as Eastern Connecticut overwhelmed the visitors, outshooting them 54-20. Donlan led the Beacons with two goals, while Hanafin netted and assisted once. Sophomore Robert Thayer recorded his second goal of the season.

O’Rourke finished the season with 66 points, 4.7 per game, to top the Little East Conference in the category. He also won Little East Offensive Player of the Week twice early in the season.