66°

Take Back the Night

I was extremely disappointed to read Shun Hasegawa’s article on Take Back the Night in the April 28th edition. Most of the article was an accurate account of the event. In one part, however, I was shocked to read that Hasegawa printed a detailed account of a UMB student who told her story of assault in the “Survivor Speakout,” even going so far as to quote her without her consent. This is grossly inappropriate. The woman’s name was not printed, but this is beside the point; a reporter would not go to an AA meeting and violate a person’s privacy by describing his/her hardships with alcohol without his/her consent, and sexual assault is certainly as traumatic and private as substance abuse. This woman had the courage to relive a traumatic experience in what she believed to be the context of a supportive, albeit public, environment, and was rewarded by having her experience publicized in her school newspaper. I can see no point in printing this women’s story other than to inject an otherwise ordinary article with sensationalistic details; if Hasegawa really wanted needed to fill space in this way, it would have been more appropriate to use the story of the non-UMB student anti-rape activist who began the “Speakout.” The purpose of events like TBTN is to provide victims with a safe space to overcome victimization and reclaim their power. Hasegawa’s choice to violate this woman’s privacy is yet another form of victimization. Sincerely, Dana Clark