63°

GSA News

Become a Member! The Graduate Student Assembly is the voice of graduate students at UMass Boston. Would you like the opportunity to get to know other graduate students here at UMass? Do you want to make sure your opinion is considered when decisions are made? Join the GSA and make sure your voice is heard and your graduate program is represented! We are always looking for new members!

If you can’t make today’s (Thursday, October 10) meeting, our next meeting will be held on Thursday, October 24. GSA meetings are held every other Thursday at 4:00 in the Student Life Conference Room (Campus Center, third floor). All graduate students are invited to attend!

Recognized Professional Associations (RPAs) How often are you told to start spending your money? Well, RPAs, don’t just let money sit in your account, spend it! It is important for RPAs to start planning their semester’s events early so that all the necessary paperwork can be done in time.

If you need to know how much money is in your account, please contact the GSA. Don’t forget! The GSA has several desks and cabinets in the Student Life area available for use by RPAs. Email the GSA if your club would like to use some of this space.

Gerontology Speaker SeriesThe first event of the Spring Gerontology Speaker Series will be William Crown, Senior Vice President for Health Outcomes Research, at United Health Care/Ingenix, who will give a lecture titled, “What is Really Driving Prescription Drug Costs?” on Monday, February 28, 2005 from 1:00 – 2:15 p.m. in room 3540 of the Campus Center. All are invited to attend.

Computer Workshops at UMassComputing Services offers workshops at no charge to UMass Boston students, faculty and staff, including classes on Microsoft Office applications, SPSS, SAS and formatting term papers. More information on these workshops can be found at the Computing Services website: http://compserv.umb.edu.

Discounts and ‘Freebies’Did you know that, back in September, the GSA and the Undergraduate Student Senate pooled their resources to offer Museum of Fine Arts passes to UMass students free of charge? Simply present your current UMass Student ID and gain access to the Museum’s world-renowned exhibit halls. The Office of Student Life also offers students discount passes to the Aquarium, the Museum of Science, and several movie theaters. Stop by the Student Life Counter in the third floor of the Campus Center to see what is available!

Professional Development GrantsAttending and presenting at professional conferences can be a great opportunity to network and learn, but is often so expensive that students often find themselves unable to participate. Do you need extra money to travel to a professional conference this semester? The GSA administers the Professional Development Grant (PDG) program to assist graduate students with the economic burden of traveling to, and participating in, professional conferences and meetings.

Grants of up to $400 are available to reimburse students presenting papers or posters, and grants of up to $300 are available for students attending conferences. Please refer to our website for application materials and guidelines. Note that all application materials must be submitted at least 30 days prior to travel to be eligible for review.

Looking for us?We are located on the third floor of the Campus Center, in room 3404. For applications, forms, or more information on any of our programs, please visit our website at www.gsa.umb.edu.