66°

Lacrosse Team Heads UMB Teams In Postseason Awards

The Little East Conference handed out its postseason awards for spring sports on Monday, May 6. Although UMass Boston’s teams achieved little success during the postseason tournaments, UMB student-athletes were recognized for their exceptional play on the field or diamond for the 2002 season.

The lacrosse team had four players named to the Little East Conference First Team All Stars, tying Eastern Connecticut State with the highest number of players. The selections were junior attacker Joshua Stolp, junior midfielder Phil Pittorino, sophomore Craig Archambeault, and junior Chris Espinola. Sophomore attacker Mike Forns was named to the Second Team.

The baseball team had a number of players make the list for First and Second Teams. Senior Rob Young was designated to co-share as the First Team catcher in the Little East Conference with Rhode Island College Island’s Dave Quaglia. Junior Adam Waxman, junior Matt Thayer, and sophomore Jon Tekela were tabbed as Second Team All Stars.

Unfortunately, the softball team’s players were left off the list for any postseason recognition by the Little East Conference. The men’s tennis team placed third in the Little East Conference Championships on the weekend of May 3-4. Two players came away with trophies: sophomore Quazi Sadruzzman as the champion of first singles match and senior Kim Yang won the fourth singles championship.

Jason Campos served as The Mass Media staff for the following years and positions: Editor-in-Chief: 2003-2004; Managing Editor: 2002-2003; and Sports Editor: 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004 Disclaimer: Years served is based on online database and may not detail entire service.