66°

Priestly Sacrifice

Dear Editor, It is critical that the full impression as to the reasons why, in recent years, many forms of scandal have come to be accepted within the Catholic Church, be studied by your readers. As a Catholic, I have researched and studied these matters for a number of years, (see my Web site address listed below) and I can tell you that many, if not most of the leaders of the Catholic Church in the USA, in addition to parish priests, will not change unless they become more aware that their lukewarm spiritual state not only does not meet with the approval of those in their care, but also does not meet with the approval of the public at large. For many years they have enjoyed a “honeymoon” with the media, the public, and their parishioners, and rather than increasing in humility, they increased in pride. But lately, (although there are truly holy bishops and priests), others are feeling increasingly uncomfortable with the new public awareness of their true spiritual state, and they do not like it – therefore they are seeking ways to “sweep” any mention of it “under the rug”, and continue with “business as usual”, while excusing themselves, and their “brother priests”, as “only human”. In the process, many of them (and those who defend their lukewarm state) now find “fault” with the media they previously “used” to their satisfaction. Many bishops continue to avoid using the word “sin” as applies to their own soul, and the souls of the priests and people under their care. To please the “crowd” they consistently claim that except for a “few”, everyone else is “good”, which does not show an awareness of the signs of the times in which we live. Most bishops, including Cardinal Law, even ignored the Blessing Pope John Paul II gave to this person for the writing of a letter sent to them (see Web site) which gave detailed examples of the lukewarm state of today’s Church. That letter was written in February, 2001. Are these the marks of truly good shepherds who would “lay down their lives for their sheep”? Web address: http://TheMessagesUSA.CatholicWeb.com Vincent BemowskiMenasha, WI For Editor’s reference, complete address: 708 State St.Menasha, WI 54952 ph: 920-725-5477 e-mail: [email protected]