66°

UMB Men’s Basketball Exacts Revenge On Eastern Connecticut State

On February 2, Groundhog Day, the 7-13 UMass Beacons faced up against an Eastern Connecticut team that was 6-3 in the conference and earlier in the season had beat UMass 85-77. This time around the Warriors lost, while on Beacon home turf to a faster, younger, and hungrier UMass team.

One big factor in the game was freshman center Billy Allen who established a low post presence and scored inside with regularity, going 6-9 in field goals and scoring 15 points. What made this an achievement was the center he was matched up against, Billy Rea a 6-7, 230lb senior. This proved to be the key match-up of the game, if Billy Rea could have shut down Allen offensively, Connecticut would have had the advantage.

After a quick start by the warriors, a 12-5 run by the Beacons bounced back and went on their own run started on a couple of Paul Kemp fast break layups. After these early scoring bursts, the game became one of defense; neither side able to really get their offense in a groove. The score at the half was 33-30 in favor of UMass.

In the second half, the lead seesawed until Roger Perry scored a three and jumper back to back giving UMass a one-point lead and the momentum. During the five minute Warrior scoring drought, UMass built a seven-point lead and that was all they needed. For the rest of the game, the lead remained in the Beacons favor, thanks to clutch three pointers from Lester Robinson and Roger Perry. Down the stretch UMass hit 12-16 free throws and clinched the win.

Another big factor was the lack of scoring from Rich Vega, the Warrior who had previously scored 35 against the Beacons. He did not shoot very well Saturday, going 5-16 and only scoring 12 points. He also had nine assists and seven turnovers. UMass got good games from Billy Allen who got a double-double, 15 points and 10 rebounds, Roger Perry, 16 pts, and Lester Robinson with 15 pts. UMass hit 44% of their three point attempts compared to only 25% by Eastern Connecticut State. UMass improved to 8-13 on the year and 3-7 in the Little East Conference in a game that they outplayed their opponent and won the match.