66°

Reviews in Short

*Blarney Stone*

The Blarney Stone finally celebrated the one-year anniversary of their grand reopening. The Blarney Stone near Field’s Corner, was an old Dorchester standard, had recently been drastically remodeled as part of the first Main Streets project in Dorchester to reach completion.

Though more than a year has passed, the wait for the celebration was worth it. An invitation only event with an eclectic array of young and old, locals and visitors, the Wednesday night event featured Hispanic food and music, with a Mariachi band and the restaurant staff dressed in traditional Mexican outfits.

Tacos made to order and Coronas were the specials of the night, which only got more crowded as midnight approached. But by the next day the costumes and decorations and tacos were gone-though one can still get made-to-order items from the standard menu, such as steak fajitas or nachos.

*C.F. Donavan’s*

A fairly new establishment, but quickly becoming the place of choice for Dorchester families and forty-somethings, Donovan’s has an extremely wide selection, and there are no small portions.

Donovan’s, across from the Savin Hill station, tends to get crowded weekend evenings, and has good entrees, but for UMass students Donavan’s is a must for the after work beer-and a half-price appetizer with a UMass ID.*McKenna’s Café*

Open from 5:30am to 3:30pm, McKenna’s is not a nightspot, but one of the best breakfast spots in Dorchester.

The early-bird special, served before 8am, is the best bargain, but breakfast at any time is also a welcome gift. The great food and good prices are marred by their tendency to get to-go orders wrong, perhaps afternoon malaise.