63°

Running with a Fast Crowd in Dorchester

Shawn White, with a time of 14
57, was the overall winner in the First Annual Blarney Stone 5K Road Race and Fitness Walk.
Shawn White, with a time of 14

Nineteen year-old Shawn White outpaced a field of over 100 runners Sunday, October 6, in the First Annual Blarney Stone 5K in Dorchester, finishing almost 40 seconds ahead of the second place runner, Brendan Lynch.

Regina Jungbluth, the first female finisher, also proved to be a strong contender, coming in at 18:57, almost two minutes ahead of the next female finisher.

Many participants were impressed by the quickness of the entrants for the race-a charity-race event that benefited the Colonel Daniel Marr Boys & Girls Club and the Martin J. O’Donnell Scholarship Fund.

Organized primarily by Brenda O’Donnell and Blarney Stone manager Ben Johnson, the race was also supported by the mayor’s office. Brenda O’Donnell said that she had approached Johnson because she wanted to do something in memory of her cousin, “who was only 22.” Both O’Donnell and Johnson noted the assistance they had received from the mayor’s office in obtaining permits and police details for the race, O’Donnell specifically thanking DeWayne Lehman.

Before the race there were bagels, bananas and juices available for the runners, while afterwards there was a cookout with hot dogs, burgers and beer-and an awards ceremony for the top two finishers in each age group.

Shawn White, a graduate of East Bridgewater High School and currently a Massasoit College student said it was a good course, a little hilly at first, but with nice straight-aways.

White proudly said he was a member of the East Bridgewater Cross-Country team last year when they won the state championship. While Massasoit doesn’t have a cross-country team White still trains, running 40 miles a week, and plans on joining the Greater Boston Track Club, concentrating on the indoor mile. “Right now, I’m just trying to get colleges to notice me.”

White said his next race is on October 27 in the widely anticipated Mayor’s Cup in Franklin Park, a major event with athletes across the nation.

Regina Jungbluth, when asked if she was the first female finisher, laughed, “I think so.” Jungbluth had just run, and won, her first road race, though she does normally train for triathlons. “This was my first road race, I wanted to keep it nice and short … it was fun, and it’s nice to know it will benefit kids.”