66°

Emmanuel Defeats Beacons 3-0

In its second to last home game of the season, the UMass Boston women’s volleyball team fell to an athletic Emmanuel Saints team 3-0 at the Clark Athletic Center. The loss pushed the Beacons’ record to 3-16.

Although Emmanuel did displays periods of dominance, the final score did not accurately reflect UMB’s performance. The Beacons started out well in the first set, taking an early 8-6 lead that included three consecutive points on the serve of sophomore Gesili Felicio Emmanuel came back to take the lead, increasing it to as much as four points. The Saints did this while rotating players in and out of the game in the attempt to keep them fresh.

UMB buckled down to re-tie the game at 23. But Emmanuel went on a mini 4-1 run that forced Coach Ken Goon to take a timeout so his team could regroup. However, the tactic did not help save the set as Emmanuel took the opening set 30-26 when a kill attempt by senior co-captain Laurel Smith went wide.

The Beacons did not get off to a quick start in the second set either, as Emmanuel jumped out front to leads of 7-3 and 10-5. Even well designed set plays by Melissa Hales could not get the Saints off their game.

The recently named Little East Conference Freshman of the Week Stephanie Adams served up back-to-back aces, but Emmanuel responded by expanding their lead to nine, 21-12. The Saints finished off the set on the back of strong net play for a final set score of 30-20, taking a 2-0 set lead in the match.

The Beacons found it hard to establish any lasting rhythm to their game. The start of the third set found the team down early once more as Emmanuel built a lead of 14-6. UMB had a couple of 3-0 runs, but it did little too stave off the inevitable. The Beacons fought off game point four times, but the white ball managed to find the floor on the Beacons side of the net for the final third set score of 30-23, giving Emmanuel the match.

The Beacons finish off their season on Saturday November 2 against Wentworth Institute of Technology.