63°

Women’s Tennis Drops Close Match to Regis College

The UMass Boston Women’s tennis team lost to Regis College last Friday afternoon by the narrowest of margins, 5-4 at the Clark Athletic Center. The team drops to 1-11 overall and remain at 0-5 in the Conference.

Friday’s outcome was another tough loss for the Beacons; they had a real opportunity to win the outing due to Regis’s lack of players. The team was coming off the high of a dominating performance against Pine Manor College the previous day. However, the Beacons’ squad could not carry over the momentum.

With only five players, Regis gave two points to the UMass Boston team just for showing up. UMB could not capitalize on the circumstances, unfortunately, as their three top players lost in straight sets.

Denise Ridge, the ace of the team and somewhat of a surprise league champ lost for only the second time in singles play. Ridge, a force to be reckoned with on the court, featuring a powerful stroke and an aggressive attack, let Erica Glennon get away with one losing 5-7, 4-6.

Last week Ridge, only a freshman, astounded the Little East Conference (LEC) by winning the top-flight in the LEC tournament and becoming the second UMass Boston student to do so.

Erica Glennon, a big player with power on the forehand and backhand, sneaked by the usually indomitable Ridge. The freshman from Milton, MA did not play with her usual fire and it was this fickle of intensity not the play of Glennon that cost her the match. Ridge’s only other loss of the season came to Plymouth State’s Jamie Hazard.

Freshman Anisa Saliai had a good day in the forth seed match. She eventually downed Stefanie McElligott in a three set match, 6-2, 4-6, 6-0. Her athletic and seemingly tireless play got the better of McElligott.

Chidinma Okebalama, another freshman and the fifth seed, had a solid outing against Thu Truong. She put her height advantage to good use, overpowering the smaller player. She also showed poise with some well-placed shots scoring several points at crucial time.

The other single matches were lost by the numbers two and three on the depth chart, Alrette Peters and Jill Halvorson respectively. Peters lost 2-6, 4-6 to a soft hitting Mary Kate Huie. Huie more than made up for her lack of power with fantastic accuracy and good base line play. Alrette, known for a good first serve, was kept off balance by Huie’s ability to put the ball in tough spots. Halvorson played well, but not well enough to get by Bobby Finocchio, losing 4-6, 2-6.

Regis won both doubles matches and, despite the two-point advantage at the outset, won the day. The game was the last one at home for the Beacons this season, who concluded their schedule on October 23 with a game against Emmanuel College.