66°

Summer of Change on Campuses

The big news on the University of Massachusetts campus this summer is the arrival of new Chancellor John V. Lombardi who is being hailed by some as an administrator with common sense.

Across the bridge in Northampton, Carol T. Christ has taken over as president of Smith College. She will be inaugurated the weekend of Oct. 18 to 20.

The new leaders spent their summers learning their way around their campuses and the Pioneer Valley. Lombardi’s first major action was naming Ian McCaw of Northeastern University as athletic director. He is holding off on permanent appointments for other administrative positions.

Anti-racism at Smith

Smith officials have made several changes in response to the turmoil on campus last spring over racist and homophobic graffiti. Residence staff were trained in conflict resolution this summer, racial profiling training for public safety officers is scheduled for September, a diversity pre-orientation program was established and Unity House, the campus diversity center, has received new equipment. More policy work on diversity goals is scheduled for the academic year.

UMass library cuts

The W.E.B. Du Bois Library at UMass, used by students from all five area colleges, has been hard-hit by state budget cuts, losing nearly all its regular funding for books and materials.

In addition, several retirements have reduced staffing by 15 to 20 percent and they can’t be replaced due to lack of funds. Therefore, hours at the library have been whittled down. The library will open an hour later every weekday, at 9 a.m., and will close Fridays and Saturdays at 5 p.m. instead of 10 p.m. Other nights it will close at 11 p.m., an hour earlier than in the past.

The Biological Sciences Library in Morrill Science Center will only be open weekdays and the Physical Sciences and Engineering Library in Lederle Research Center will be closed Saturdays. The main library will open on Sundays at 2 p.m.