66°

Sport Brief

Two New Coaches on Board

The University of Massachusetts Boston has hired two new head coaches for varsity sports. Ken Goon has been hired to coach the Women’s volleyball team and Ernest Taylor will take over the reins for the Men’s and Women’s cross country

Little East Conference Pre-season Polls for Fall Sports

The Men’s and Women’s soccer teams and the Women’s volleyball team of UMass Boston where each selected to finish last in the Little East Conference in their respective sports in a pre-season poll conducted by coaches on Thursday September 5.

Little East Players of the Week

Women’s VolleyballOffensive Player of the Week: Kate Shirey, Junior, Middle Hitter, Plymouth St. College Rookie of the Week: Allison Kascak, Freshman, Outside Hitter, Western Connecticut State University

Women’s Tennis

Player of the Week: Coryne Preston, Senior, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Rookie of the Week: Lauren Fippinger, Freshman, University of Southern Maine

Men’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week: Shawn Nunes, Junior, Forward, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Defensive Player of the Week: Mark Pataky, Junior, Goalkeeper, Western Connecticut State University

Rookie of the Week:Paul Dietterle, Freshman, Forward, Plymouth State College

Women’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week: Jen Ferrari, Sophomore, Forward, Eastern Connecticut State University Defensive Player of the Week: Jen Marquis, Senior, Back, Western Connecticut State University Rookie of the Week: Meghan Booth, Freshman, Forward, Eastern Connecticut State University

New UMB Mascot to Be Revealed

A new mascot for the University of Massachusetts Boston will be revealed to the public on Monday September 23. The decision to rename the university’s mascot started two years ago when it was decided that the UMass Boston needed a more purposeful and recognizable nickname and a poll was conducted shortly afterwards. The Student Athletic Advisory Board (SAAB) had been working on the project over the last year.