66°

Editorial: James P. Goodwin – February 25, 1953-August 18, 2002

Editorial: James P. Goodwin - February 25, 1953-August 18, 2002

JP Goodwin was a Mass Media staff member, and a friend.

James P. Goodwin, or JP, as he was known around the campus, had suffered from failing health in recent years and died on Sunday, August 18, of an aneurysm.

JP will be missed.

Our friend had worked at The Mass Media both in the mid-80’s, when he began his undergraduate work, and, most recently, since the late 90’s, while JP pursued an advanced degree. JP had also worked at MacLean’s Hospital in Belmont as a counselor for several years as well as at newspapers around Atlanta in the late 80’s and freelanced for the Boston Globe in recent years.

JP, a great Red Sox fan, was also active on campus in the Graduate Student Assembly and in American Studies. JP lived for the moment and surely has few regrets.

Son of Mildred A. O’Neill and the late James P. Goodwin of Belmont, JP joins his late sister, Nancy Walters, and is survived by his sisters, Karen Goodwin of N.H., Patricia Timmer of Arkansas, Joan Hageleerger of Winchester, and his brother Robert Goodwin of Belmont.

Memorial services were held at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Belmont. JP’s brother Robert read a touching eulogy that mentioned his love of learning and of UMass, Boston. In attendance were many from UMass Boston, including: several Mass Media editors; Chancellor Jo Ann Gora; Director of Student Life Joyce Morgan; and UMB Student Senate President Joseph Panciotti.

Thank you all for attending, it surely would have pleased JP.