66°

Softball Season Underway

Softball Season Underway

The UMass Boston women’s softball team had a modest start to the season during Spring Break. The team traveled to Florida for five games and returned to Massachusetts with a 2-3 record. Last year, the Beacons recorded four victories for the entire season.

Leading the way on offense for the Beacons were first baseman Siobhan Lynch and third basman Kristen Smoyer. Lynch put up some impressive power numbers, bashing four home runs while driving in six RBIs. Smoyer had two dingers and five RBIs in Florida. Senior shortstop Kristen Bowes was a speed demon on the base paths, swiping six bases in seven chances.

On the mound, freshman Stephanie Poulos went 2-0 with a 1.84 ERA in four appearances. She had complete games in both of her starts and she struck out ten batters in 19 innings of work. Fellow pitcher Andea Spinale did not fare as well. Spinale went 0-3 and had an ERA of 5.92.

The team played extraordinarily well defensively. The team, which at times last season had difficulties in the field, committed only six errors.

The team lost their home opener on Monday, March 24 against Babson College 5-1. Their record currently stands at 2-4.

The team next plays on the road in a doubleheader against Little East Conference rival Eastern Connecticut State on Saturday, March 29.