66°

Calendar – 4/2/03

Thursday 3

To Defy or Occupy? Israeli soldiers refuse to serve the occupation12-2pm, Science Building, 1st floor, Small Science Auditorium. Featuring Ishai Menuchin, Israeli peace activist, a major in the Israeli Defense Forces, and founder of Yesh Gvul, who will discuss the ethics and politics of selective refusal by over 1,000 Israeli soldiers to serve in the Occupied Territories. Sponsored by the UMB Human Rights Working Group, Visions of Peace with Justice in Israel-Palestine and UMB Joiner Center for the Study of War and its Social Consequences. For more information, call 617-287-7860.

Gerontology Dissertation Defense1pm, Healey Library, 8th floor, Provosts Conference Room. Gerontology Ph.D. Candidate, Margaret Hart, will defend her dissertation entitled “Factors Predicting the Types of Assistance Used for Specific Activities of Daily Living by Community Dwelling Elderly.” Committee members are Frank Porell, Jan Mutchler, Francis Caro, and Joanne Gallagher. For more information, call 617-287-7302 or email [email protected].

Beacons Athletics Men’s Tennis vs. Suffolk University3:30 p.m., tennis courts. For more information, call UMB Athletics at 617-287-7801.

Friday 4

Biology Department Seminar: As the fat flies-Developmental regulation of organelle transport in Drosophila embryos2:30 – 3:30 p.m., Science Building, 1st floor, room 006. Featuring Dr. Michael Welte, Brandeis University. For more information, call 617-287-6600.

Saturday 5

“Why Violence?”An Interdisciplinary Conference 9am-5pm, Wheatley Hall, 1st floor, Lipke Auditorium. Cost includes lunch: $80 ($90 at the door) Students: $50. 6.5 CE credits for Psychologists, Social Workers, Nurses, Marriage and Family Counselors, and Mental Health Counselors. Presented by the Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis and the Department of Sociology. Register online: http://www.bgsp.edu. Conference themes include: What causes violence in individuals? In societies?; What leads to its escalation?; How can violence be de-escalated?; What can prevent violence? Featured Speakers include Nancy Scheper-Hughes, Ph.D., professor of medical anthropology at the University of California, Berkeley; Phyllis Meadow, Ph.D., President of the Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis; Charles Lemert, Ph.D., Andrus Professor of Sociology at Wesleyan University; Debra Niehoff, Ph.D., a neurobiologist and science writer.

UMass Boston AthelticsBeacons Athletics Softball vs. UMass Dartmouth, 1pm softball field. Beacons Athletics Baseball vs. Eastern Connecticut State University Noon, baseball diamond. Beacons Athletics Men’s Tennis vs. Rhode Island College 1 pm, tennis courtsFor more information, call UMB Athletics at 617-287-7801.

Sunday 6

WUMB 91.9 FM Commonwealth Journal7:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. Listen to interviews with scholars, writers, and public officials, examining current issues of interest to the people of Massachusetts. For more information, call 617-287-6900.

Beacon Dash 5k run/walk10am-1pm, Clark Athletic Center, Lower Level, Track. Five kilometer (3.1 mile) run/walk to benefit the UMass Boston Early Learning Center. For more information, visit www.athletics.umb.edu/beacon/first_annual.htm or call 617-287-6788.

Monday 7

Gerontology Speaker Series: Aging in Place and Public Housing1-2:15pm, Wheatley, 4th floor, 147-2. Featuring Jan Mutchler, Ph.D., Gerontology Program, UMass Boston. For more information, call 617-287-7330.

Tuesday 8

Engineering Open House8:30-9:45am., McCormack, 3rd floor, Ryan Lounge. Introduction to Engineering students will present their projects to improve traffic safety in a tunnel. Everyone is invited. For more information, call 617-287-6435 or email [email protected].

Mediating in the Middle East: The Role of the U.S. – A Discussion with Ambassador Dennis Ross 1-3 p.m., Healey, University Club. Ambassador Dennis Ross played the leading role in shaping U.S. involvement in the Middle East peace process for many years, serving as the Director of Near East and South Asian affairs on the National Security Council staff during the Reagan Administration, Director for Policy Planning in the State Department under President George H.W. Bush and Special Middle East Coordinator under President Clinton. He was the Chief American Designer of the Camp David Negotiations in July of 2000. He is currently Director of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy and a Lecturer in Public Policy at the JFK School of Government at Harvard University. Ambassador Ross is nearing completion on a book to be published in 2003 by Farrar, Strauss and Giroux on Middle East Peace titled The Missing Peace. Ambassador Ross’ visit is underwritten by the Benjamin and Sylvia Slomoff Visiting Lectureship in Dispute Resolution. For more information, email [email protected].

A Sculptor at Work: Kitty Wales in Residence1-5pm, McCormack, 1st floor, Harbor Gallery. Sculptor, Kitty Wales will be at work in the Harbor Gallery, constructing a life size Texas long horn steer to complement her menagerie of wild creatures. Come watch her at work Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, April 8, 10, 15, 17, and 19. Sponsored by Arts on the Point. For more information, call 287- 5347 or email [email protected].

Wednesday 9

Munch & Mingle Discussion Series: Career Development Strategies11:30am-1:30pm, McCormack, 1st floor, room 415. Come and take a break from your hectic school day! The UMB Center for Students with disABILITIES continues their 5-part Munch and Mingle Discussion Series with two meetings this month. We will include in this discussion tips on how to maximize UMass Boston’s internal resources. There will be two sessions: 11:30-12:30 and 12:30-1:30. Please RSVP. For more information, call 617-287-7965 or email [email protected].

Undergraduate Gerontology Open House1-2pm, Wheatley Hall, 3rd floor, room 125. For more information, contact 617-287-7330.

Art/Talk: Kitty Wales, A Sculptor at Work1-2pm, McCormack, 1st floor, Harbor Gallery. Kitty Wales travels to remote sites to document an animal species in its natural habitat, and, based on those experiences, she fabricates sculptures out of steel and non-traditional materials and presents these in installation format. A graduate of Boston University and the University of Arizona, recently on the Boston University faculty, she is currently teaching sculpture and drawing at UMB. Her work will be exhibited in the Harbor Gallery April 7 – 23, and she will be there working on a current piece April 8, 10, 15, 17, and 19 from 1 to 5 p.m. For more information, call 617-287-5347 or email [email protected].

Safe Sex: STDs and HIV Prevention Presentation2:30 – 4 p.m., Wheatley, 4th floor, Student Lounge. Presented by the Fenway Health Center. For more information, call 617-287-7983 or email [email protected].

A Curator’s Perspective: Carole Anne Mehan; ICA/Vita Brevis of the Institute of Contemporary Art 1-2pm, McCormack, 1st floor, Harbor Gallery. Carole Anne will describe her work as curator of Vita Brevis, in which she commissions artists from around the world to create new, temporary works of art made in response to Boston’s landscape and history. These works are presented in a range of outdoor settings: public parks, abandoned buildings, historic sites, rooftops and riverbanks.” Mehan, an artist and graduate of Mass College of Art, has organized over 40 exhibitions and public art projects in Massachusetts since 1988. For more information, call 287- 5437 or email [email protected]

Stories of Cape Verdean Pioneers in a New England Settlement2:30-4pm., Administration, 3rd floor, Chancellor’s Conference Room. The Center for Women in Politics & Public Policy presents the 17th Women’s Research Forum, featuring a lecture by Professor Aminah Fernandes Pilgrim, Africana Studies, who will be discussing women in the Cape Verdean community in Onset, MA, 1901-1961. Co-sponsored by Women’s Studies, Africana Studies, the Trotter Institute & the Office of the Chancellor. For more information, call 617-287-5530 or email [email protected].

ECOS Seminar: The Gulf of Maine Ocean Observing System: an Institutional Arrangement in Support of Coastal Ocean Research and Applications2:30 – 3:45, Science Building, 1st floor, room 006. Featuring Dr. Philip Bogden, C.E.O., Gulf of Maine Ocean Observing System (GoMOOS). For more information, call 617-287-7440.

Beacons Athletics Softball vs. Lasell College3:30pm, softball diamond. For more information, call UMB Athletics at 617-287-7801.

Queer Student Group Movie Night5-7pm, Wheatley, 4th floor, 125. For more information, call 617-287-7983 or email [email protected].

Thursday 10

Engineering Open House8:30-9:45am, McCormack, 3rd floor, Ryan Lounge. Introduction to Engineering students will present their projects to improve traffic safety in a tunnel. Everyone is invited. For more information, call 617-287-6435 or email [email protected].

National Alcohol Screening Day10am-2pm, McCormack, 1st floor, room 613. UMass Boston will join hundreds of sights across the country in offering a brief screening for alcohol problems – as well as educational resources about the problems associated with the abuse of alcohol. Please visit our web site www.umbwellness.org for more information or call 617-287-5680.

UMBe Green Sponsors Earth Day Luncheon: State of Sustainability: How Massachusetts State Agencies Are Going Green12:30-2pm, Healey Library, University Club, 11th floor. Featuring Eric Friedman, director of the Massachusetts State Sustainability Program, Executive Office of Environmental Affairs. For more information, contact: 617-287-5083.

Beacons Athletics Softball vs. Salem State College 3 p.m., softball diamond.

Graduate Student Assembly Meeting4-5:15pm, Wheatley, 4th floor, Student Lounge. The Graduate Student Assembly, the voice of graduate students at the UMASS Boston campus, is dedicated to enhancing the academic and professional development of graduate students. This includes support for graduate research and skill development. Our intention is to reach the whole of the graduate student body with the various programs we offer. Please see our website www.gsa.umb.edu for more information or call 617-287-7975.

College of Management Senior Executive Forum: Starting a New Venture6-7:30pm, Administration, 3rd floor, Chancellor’s Conference Room. Featuring Mark E. Atkins ’72, President & CEO, Invention Machine. For more information, call 617-287-7734 or email [email protected].

Friday 11

Fourth Annual Graduate Academic Conference9am-4:30pm, Healey Library, 11th floor. This year’s focus is on sharpening your skills and using your skills in the competitive market. Morning session includes multiple workshops on sharpening your skills while the afternoon session includes Job Searching in the New Millenium presented by the Donahue Institute. For information and registration, visit www.gsa.umb.edu or call 617-287-7975.

Biology Department Seminar: Are mammalian eggs polarized?2:30-3:30pm, Science Building, 1st floor, room 006. Featuring Dr. David Albertini, New England Medical Center. For more information, call 617-287-6600.

Beacons Athletics Softball vs. Newbury College 3 p.m., softball diamond. For more information, call UMB Athletics at 617-287-7801.

Spring Retreat-Give yourself the gift of TIMELeave Boston at 5 p.m. and return on Sunday April 13 by 2 p.m. Give yourself the gift of time and join others for the Annual Spring Retreat offered by Interfaith Campus Ministry. Be alone or with friends; ponder the presence of God within you and around you…reflect and listen…make friends that last a lifetime. Cost: Students $40 (negotiable if money is tight), Faculty/staff: $90.00. For more information, call 617-287-5839 or email [email protected].

Saturday 12

Beacons Athletics Men’s Tennis vs. Western Connecticut State University1 p.m., tennis courts. For more information, call UMB Athletics at 617-287-7801.

Beacons Athletics Softball vs. Rhode Island College 1 p.m., softball diamond. For more information, call UMB Athletics at 617-287-7801.