57°

News Briefs – 4/24/03

UMass Receives Award

The Department of Biology at UMass Boston has been awarded $600,000 in aid. The name of the grant is Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN). The fellowships will supports six students enrolled in UMass Boston’s Ph.D. program over the span of three years. The funds will be used for tuition waivers, supplemental stipends, and provide other resources for top students in need.

Company Participants Wanted for Career Fair

UMass Boston will be hosting a career fair on Wednesday, April 30 from 11am to 4:30pm in the Clark Athletic Center. The fair is being held for students in the College of Nursing and Health Services.

Companies interested in participating and thereby exposing students to opportunities in the health field may do so for a fee of $250. The package includes a 6ft table with a company ID sign, refreshments, a parking pass, company names listed in the career fair program, and the company’s name displayed on the college website.

The fair will provide an excellent opportunity for employers to meet with potential employees, and students to receive exposure to career possibilities. Companies interested in participating in the fair should contact Monique Austin at [email protected] or www.nursing.umb.edu

Media Expo at UMB

On May 1, from 9:30am to 11:30am, a Teaching with Media Expo will be held in the Instructional Technology Center. The purpose of the event is to provide faculty with examples of how media is being used by colleagues for educational purposes.

The expo will include faculty presentations of various technologies that they have utilized in the classroom. Demonstrations can be presented using the actual media tools or through a “poster session.” Participants will receive a $100 stipend.

The event, which will be attended by Chancellor Gora, is an excellent opportunity for faculty to learn new ways to bring technology into their classrooms, receive recognition for their efforts, and mingle with other faculty members.

Anyone interested in attending the event or obtaining more information about it should contact Eileen McMahon at 617-287-3998 or [email protected].

Welcome Day

A welcome day for newly admitted undergraduate students will be held on campus April 26, beginning at 9am. The event will feature information sessions, tours of the campus and facilities, a harbor boat tour, tours of the JFK Library, and a pre-opening hard-hat tour of the new Student Center. There will also be a luncheon held for participants.

Those interested should register online at www.umb.edu.