66°

Artist Gives Presentation

On Thursday, March 27, artist Tom Norton gave a presentation in the Harbor Art Gallery on how to use his creations, Walnut Ink and the Walnut Drawing Stick. His art, which utilizes his products, is currently on display in the art gallery.

One thing that makes the ink unique is that is completely water soluble, and therefore easier to use than traditional watercolors. Norton demonstrated this property of Walnut Ink by using the ink on a piece of paper, and then wiping off what had been drawn on the paper with a wet paper towel. This makes drawing somewhat easier for artists, as mistakes can be easily corrected.

Norton also pointed out that his ink is not merely dyed water and is composed entirely of natural ingredients, which makes it lightfast, so artists do not have to worry about the finished product fading in the sun. In fact, the name Walnut Ink is derived from the ink’s color, a brown that can range from beige to dark brown. The ink does not come in any other colors.

Tom Norton also demonstrated his Walnut Drawing Stick at the presentation. Norton uses bamboo to handcraft the drawing sticks. One end of the drawing stick features a pen for creating dark and precise lines, while the other end consists of a foam tip used for blending, layering colors, and blotting. The pen of the stick is carved from bamboo and features an ink reservoir. What makes the drawing stick useful for artists is that it frees up space as they are working and eliminates the need to switch between two separate working tools. The drawing stick can be used with watercolors as well as the Walnut Ink itself.

In fact, both the ink and the drawing stick are useful in many different ways. The ink itself is used not only for drawing, but for calligraphy and paper dying as well.

When one student who attended the lecture was asked what they liked about the ink, he said, “It seemed like a neat product, because of the fact that you can erase any part of it, and it acts more like a watercolor than an ink.”

One downside of the ink is that when used for drawing, the dense paper required costs approximately 75 cents per sheet. Also, when used as pen ink, sediment within the ink can cause the pen to clog. However, overall the Walnut Drawing Stick and Walnut Ink both seemed like innovative new products with which artists and calligraphers can experiment.

Norton ended his presentation by drawing one of the attendees using his products. Those interested in purchasing the ink or the drawing stick may inquire about it at the Harbor Art Gallery, or visit one of the 180 art stores which carry Norton’s products.