63°

News Briefs – 4/2/03

Alcohol at UMass Amherst

Alcoholic beverages are making a comeback on the UMass Amherst campus, reports The Campus Chronicle. In an effort to get more students to come to the Lincoln Campus Center, Auxiliary Services is opening a new bar, Blue Wall, which will serve drinks such as Heineken, Guinness, Budweiser, Miller Lite, and locally brewed beer, as well as provide musical entertainment. Plans are being developed to beef up security, which range from having University Police on hand to “iridescent wrist bands” and special glasses to easily identify legal drinkers.

Student Casting Call

UMB students who are or have been in a course utilizing educational technologies are encouraged to share their experiences on camera by the Instructional Technology Center. Educational technologies include the internet, PDA’s, computer software, video streams, threaded discussions, online chats, PowerPoint simulations, virtual experiments, etc. The video will be shown at the Teaching with Media Expo ’03, held in Wheatley Cafeteria in May.

Knapp Scholarship in Political Science (Non-Political Science Majors Can Apply)

The Department of Political Science has $5,000 available to provide financial assistance in the form of paying tuition and fees for the 2003-04 academic year. For eligibility, by January 2003 students must have either completed three UMB Political Science classes, or completed two PoliSci classes and be enrolled in one, and have completed between 30 and 100 credit hours at the undergraduate level. Students need not be a PoliSci major to apply.

Criteria include evidence of outstanding academic performance, public and community service, career goals, and personal background.

All application materials for the competition must be submitted to the Department of Political Science (W-5-070) no later than 5pm on Tuesday, May 6, 2003. Winners will be announced no later than Tuesday, May 13, 2003.

For more information, contact Elizabeth Bussiere at 617-287-6930 or [email protected], or Robert Weiner at 617-287-6943 or [email protected].

Tufts Alumni Group Withdraws Award From Student Protester

After being presented with the prestigious Senior Award, an annual award given to twelve seniors at Tufts University, which entails no monetary gain, Elizabeth Monnin participated in a protest, which resulted in her award being rescinded. The protest took place at the annual Fares Lecture, which featured former President George H.W. Bush. It is alleged that while at the presentation, Ms. Monnin joined a group of students who turned their backs and booed, whistled, and held up banners, including the American flag with an obscenity on it, during Mr. Bush’s speech. As security guards removed the disruptive students, Ms. Monnin is said to have made an obscene hand gesture at Mr. Bush. Ms. Monnin denies this allegation, claiming it was in fact another student who made the gesture.

Ms. Monnin has been an activist throughout her career at Tufts, and feels that her reward being rescinded is the result of unjust censorship. The university does not concur, stating that a quality of leadership, one of the standards for being a recipient of the award is listening to the opinions of others and, ” We felt she didn’t measure up to that standard.”